WineXpert That'll "learn" me!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see your posting from the UK and that this is a 6 bottle kit. Definitely keep it warm. 22-23 degrees C. If you have a Vacuvin you can use that with an airlock to help vacuum out the CO2 gas. Keeping it warm helps the CO2 to dissipate faster. Think of leaving an open bottle of Coke or Fizzy Water on the counter. It will lose its fizz faster on the counter than if you put it in the refrigerator and kept it cold.

Do you know the superstore Wilkinson. . It's one of there home wine making kits.
I read a thread saying put it in a cool area to clear I will move it again to a warmer area.

Place the Airlock back in the gallon jug like it was when you were fermenting the wine. Remove the red cap on the airlock. Stick one of the Vacuvin stoppers in the top of the airlock, start pumping with the pump. You will see bubbles start to come to the top. Do this for 10-15 minutes or so. This will help the wine to clear.

B00004SAF4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Just to update you all on the travails of my California Chardonnay clearing issue, here are some recent pictures. In the first one, the two 5 gallon carboys on the left have been processed following my usual method and the 5 gallon carboy on the right following the directions in the kit. You can see that the two on the left, treated the day before yesterday, are clearing better than the one on the right treated more than two weeks ago. The two 1 gallon jugs (the one on the right is not really Sodium Metabisulfite) are somewhat a mixture (even with Pinot Grigio to top off) and the 1500 ml bottle is the dregs from my method. The dregs even seem to be clearing better than the WineXpert method.

I think in both cases it will be "Sparkoloid to the rescue." The wine in the second picture is a batch of Pinot Grigio treated with Sparkoloid. The stuff is amazing.

100_0606.jpg

100_0607.jpg

you are having the same problem that I Am with my WE Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. I have never had clearing issues before. I talked to the folks at WE and they sent me more chitosoan. Didn't help. Looks like I may end up running this batch thru a filter.

adambaum said:
you are having the same problem that I Am with my WE Chilean Sauvignon Blanc. I have never had clearing issues before. I talked to the folks at WE and they sent me more chitosoan. Didn't help. Looks like I may end up running this batch thru a filter.

Oh yeah, I follow the directions for the most part. My only variation is extending the time between steps.

Adam

Adam, you could try filtering but I don't think that will clear the wine I have and I have 1 and 5 micron filters. I plan to use Sparkoloid. It has worked well for me in the past. I will keep the forum updated on what happens.

Latest posts

Back