Texas Grape Growin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my garden, I head-cane prune my vines. This was either 3th or 4th leaf. 2nd year of production. This spring I tried for 8 lbs per vines. Ended with up with over 10 pounds per Lomanto vine. I plan to keep it around 10 per vine.

Your BS should be identical to my favorite. 2011 favorite was 8lbs per vine, 24lbs Total from 3 vines. 2012 numbers I'm estimating at around 16 maybe 17. I lost some very nice bunches. If you include them, about 18-20 this year. Plus one of my favorite vines had barely any grapes. Estimate 2 clusters per bud. Favorite clusters weight about 6-10oz.

@stdkls28, Current I have only been able to destemmed about 2lbs. Like I said, once I bag 4 -4.5lbs. You are welcome to the rest of them. I estimate the total harvest was around 16 - 17lbs. Some of these bunches may not be worth even destemming.

If you are interested let me know.

John

John,

First off thank you so very much for the grapes; very kind of you!

Also I have crushed and started primary fermentation. Should have enough for a gallon!

You are very welcome.

I hope it turns into some good wine. It may be a couple years before it's ready.

Sparky said:
A couple days ago, I caught a whiff of my lomanto. Today, you can really smell them. I started the harvest. I can only freeze about 10lbs a day so, it will take the remainder of the week to get them all.

I did propagate some lomanto cuttings. They are in a 15 gallon container. If any of you locals are interested in a few vines, let me know. It will probably be in the winter when I can safely remove them from the container.

John

Hey man, let me know what you want for those vines and I'll send some $. If you just want to send cuttings than that's cool too.

Hey there BigDrums2,

I wouldn't charge you. You still have any Chambourcin. Perhaps a swap.

Let me remind you that, I'm in a PD zone but see no signs of it on my one pinot noir and lomanto and favorites. Are you confortable receiving these vines.

How many you want? I think there 10-15 in the bucket.

John

Yep, pd zone here as well. I'll send some Chambourcin. Just three would be fine for me. I'm out of space as it is.

Anyone else want any Lomanto grape vines. A couple just started to bud out.

If not, I'll destroy them. I got to make room for some of my hybrids.

Regards,
John

No major plans this weekend. Just playing in the yard. You are more than welcome to stop by or we can meet some place.

Sparky said:
No major plans this weekend. Just playing in the yard. You are more than welcome to stop by or we can meet some place.

How many do you have? If stdkls28 doesn't take all of em, I'll help take some off your hands. Could come by Sunday or Monday.....

A rough count was ~10. The roots are intertwined. But a little blast of water they will come apart. I'm available either day. Sunday, the arborgate nursery is having a wine and grape class. You will probably not learn too much. But it's fun to see a few home wine makers. Just in case you wanted to do something else will you are in the area.
PM me and I'll give you my address.

@TXWINEGUY I won't be taking all of them; I only need 5.

Thanks for the infor Sparky; I think I will look into that Wine and Grape class at Arborgate...sounds interesting if my "honey do" list isn't too big by the time the weekend is here...

Sparky said:
A rough count was ~10. The roots are intertwined. But a little blast of water they will come apart. I'm available either day. Sunday, the arborgate nursery is having a wine and grape class. You will probably not learn too much. But it's fun to see a few home wine makers. Just in case you wanted to do something else will you are in the area.
PM me and I'll give you my address.

Sparky, thank you.... But my plans just changed and my honey do list just got bigger.... If I can squeeze out an hour ill holler at you on here.

Thank you for the opportunity!
Jim

Back