WineXpert Temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferb

Reaction score
Kit instructions say to add yeast at 72-75f. Would it be bad if I added at 67?

Kit instructions say to add yeast at 72-75f. Would it be bad if I added at 67?

Doesn't really matter as long as you warm it up into the 72-75 range, otherwise it's going to take a really long time to start fermenting, if it starts at all.

Ferb, It would also depend on what yeast you are using but most yeast are effective at 67 degrees F. I am not sure what yeast you are using, but here is a chart for Lalvin yeasts. You can probably find one for whatever brand you are using.

Lalvin%20Yeast%20Strain%20Selection%20Chart.jpg

The downside of starting a lower temperatures is that the delay in fermenting gives time for other opportunistic organisms to infiltrate your must. Be sure to sanitize properly and keep it coved up.

The downside of starting a lower temperatures is that the delay in fermenting gives time for other opportunistic organisms to infiltrate your must. Be sure to sanitize properly and keep it coved up.

Thanks tannddc! I added yeast at 69f and by the time morning came there was some movement in the airlock. Now it's fermenting away.

Winexpert gave me 1118.. The kit is eclipse barolo. The chart says its for white wines..

I think that WE goes with that yeast because it is a fast fermenter. They try to make these kits as fool proof as possible. (or some might say Tim resistant :))

- Tim

Back