WineXpert Temperatures

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bovinewines

Reaction score
Texas: If you don't like the weather...wait 30 minutes...it'll change...

And with that I pitched the yeast on a WV Austrailian Shiraz Sunday a week ago and put it into secondary fermentation this past Sunday.

Seemed to be okay...until today when the temperature in the winery (guest bathroom) reached 65 degrees.... Fermentation seems to have stopped (the airlock is now "even").

So...I broke down and turned on the heat...is that enough? Should I consider putting a heating pad and flannel shirt around the baby or should I just ignore it all and figure it'll all come out at some point.

I plan on sort of winging this one...meaning I'm not following the instructions to a fault...if secondary fermentation goes three weeks vs. the perscribed 14 days...hey...what the heck...
smiley4.gif

<laughing> so no sooner do I send this post...I go to check on the wine..and low and behold the balance in the airlock has shifted and there are signs that stuff is happening.

I'm a happy girl...off to wrap it in flannel!
smiley36.gif

Bovine,
I've had some slow with a sudden drop in temp...but as you said....give it 30 minutes!!!

But wasn't it fantastic today!!!! Ramona

Yeah..it was a great day. I love the warn (not hot) days and cool nights!
I keep threatening to setup a wireless renegade router at my office and work outside!
smiley36.gif

Its been raining here for the last 2 days.{finally} I wouldnt worry about the temps too much.You could wrap a blanket or something around it once it starts back up.Your yeastys are napping because of the weather.They will wake up,and be ready to get back to work.

lockdude

I have used a heating pad with bungies to hold it in place and then also found brew belts, which are quite handy to use for controlling in finer increments by moving it up for less heat and down for more.

I brew in my basement, which gets very cool this time of year in Idaho.

Latest posts

Back