Temperature Questions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbama

Junior
Reaction score
My Sangiovese is currently sitting in the secondary in my basement where the temperature is around 67 degrees. Would I be better off moving it to another part of the room where the constant temp is about 73 degrees?
I also have a question in regards to temperature once bottled. My parents don't use their home in the winter but leave the furnace on at a low temp. I can store my bottled wine in his basement were the temp will be a constant 60 degrees. Is that too cool for bottle aging wine.

Waht stage of wine making are we talking about? If its not at the point where the wine has cleared then by all means get thetemp up to around 73*. If its done fermenting and clearing then stable temps are the best and temps of 558 are the best but remember stable is most important.

67F is fine as long as you are not having problems getting secondary to complete in a timely manner. That's not a bad temperature.
However, when it comes time to degas, it needs to be about 75F in order to properly degas. At 67, it will not easily degas completely.

60F degrees is a great temperature for wine storage and aging.

I'm having trouble with my wine clearing. Could it be that storing at 58 degrees is slowing the clearing stage? Should I bring it back upstairs closer to 70 degrees until i full clear?

I'm having trouble with my wine clearing. Could it be that storing at 58 degrees is slowing the clearing stage? Should I bring it back upstairs closer to 70 degrees until i full clear?

Depends if fermentation is complete.

If it is complete, then cooling should actually help to clear the wine.

If not complete, then you could have yeast that is still active and fermenting rather slowly.

Latest posts

Back