Temperature control white whine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dessertmaker

Reaction score
Working on a vintners harvest coastal white. Was supposed to bottle on Friday but had to put my plans on hold because of hurricane Isaac. If my power goes out at home and the temperature rises, will it have a negative effect on the 5 gallons of coastal white in my better bottle?

Also if I backsweeten to an SG of 1.09 will the kmeta and sorbate be enough to keep fermentation from restarting?

How long should I wait after backsweetening and degassing before I bottle?

Working on a vintners harvest coastal white. Was supposed to bottle on Friday
but had to put my plans on hold because of hurricane Isaac. If my power goes out
at home and the temperature rises, will it have a negative effect on the 5
gallons of coastal white in my better bottle?

Also if I backsweeten to an
SG of 1.09 will the kmeta and sorbate be enough to keep fermentation from
restarting?

How long should I wait after backsweetening and degassing
before I bottle?

Lets work back wards on this. It is important to degas before the clearing stage as the wine will have a difficult time settling if it still has an abundance of CO2. The clearing time should be a minimum of 7 days however I would at the very least double that. If by back sweetening you mean adding Simple Syrup do so after it clears, wait at least another week or two then bottle it. If however by backsweetening you mean the addition of a flavor pack do it whenever the instructions direct you to do so.

If you back sweeten to 1.09 it will be sweeter than it was when you started. I believe you mean 1.009 which would be in the semi-sweet range. That being said, IF fermentation was complete BEFORE the addition of kmeta and sorbate you should be OK.

It would of course be better if the temp didn't get too high but if you are planning to drink this in the next 6 months or so don't be too concerned.

Take care and be safe.

If your white has already finished fermenting and is more or less stable, a short temp excursion due to power outage should not affect it much. Warming up a little may even help degass?

The kmeta and sorbate should go in several days before you need to backsweeten. Double-check the SG you need to backsweeten to.

Finally, once you back-sweeten, watch for signs of re-initiated fermentation for a few days before bottling.

Last edited:
I'm a week behind schedule on my wine because of the hurricane, and I'm looking through my carboy at a beautifully clear white. It smells amazing. I normally follow kit wine instructions exactly... But I'm wondering, with the wine already so clear, is degassing, and adding KMeta and Sorbate really necessary? Is isinglass clarifier really necessary?

I'm really tempted to just wait another week or so and then bottle and age for 3-6. Then I won't have to worry about added "kit taste"

But I was also wanting to backsweeten.

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

De-gas unless you like corks flying out of bottles. If you want to wait longer(months) then you would not need to add isoglass, but it wont hurt to us it. I never use sorbate but that is a differnt set of step to take so I suggest just sticking to direction for now and if you would like to know what I do ask before next batch

Back