Temp. Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a quick question.... I am going to start my first wine this weekend. It is a Chardonnay from a juice concentrate. The instructions were pretty specific about the temp in the primary fermenter. In 10 or so days, after I rack it to a carboy what temp should I be trying to maintain? <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

Also on adifferent subject, the kit came witha small bag of oak. The directions have this going into the primary. I want to make sure I don't mess anything up, but I am curious. If I wanted a littlemore oak flavor could I add more into the1st carboy?

After you rack it to a carboy, maintain the same temperature (roughly around 70 degrees F) until fermentation is finished. Some people recommend cooler fermenting temperatures,but since this isyour first batch, keep it around 70 degrees, and you shouldn't have any worries about a stuck fermentation.

You'll know when fermentation is done when you take SG readings on consecutive days and it doesn't drop any further (probably will be in the 0.994 - 0.998 range). Then you're ready to stabilize and let it clear. At this point, you can let it cool down further.

You could add more oak. It's your kit, you can do anything you want with it. That said, I would advise that you just follow the directions on this one, since it's your first kit. But it is your kit to do with as you please. Remember that any time you don't follow the directions, it voids the guarantee.
smiley3.gif

When adding oak cubes or chips, most people will add this after the stabilizing and racking stages - that is during bulk aging. Two to three ounces for 4-6 weeks is the norm, but you will want to check the taste after the first couple of weeks. You can add them after the first racking, but I am not sure you will get as much of an effect.
I have only NOT oaked one kit -my first.
AsPWP says- it is your kit so do as you please.

If you do not plan on aging this in the carboy then I recommend
degassing well before letting the temp drop as it is much harder to get
the gas out when it is cooler.

FTW: IS this by chance a French Cardonnay?

I have made one, and have another getting ready for the fermenter. I used the oak that came with mine and it was just right! I wanted a chardonnay that had a nice flavor, but I wanted the oak on the back side of the taste, This kit didn't let me down, it was perfect.

Also, once in the secondary, try this little trick, well worth the extra 30 days: http://www.finevinewines.com/Buttery-Chardonnay.htmEdited by: jobe05

Winexpert states that the optimum for one of their kits is 73 degrees and Mosti Mondiale states 70-76 degrees, which makes the average 73. My recommendation on all kits is 73 degrees.

Please note that when working with fresh ingredients, you will want different temperatures. White wines are usually fermented in the 65-70 degree range, while reds are usually fermented in the 70-75 range.

Cool thank for the advice. I have one question? My instructions in step 3 (stabilising and clearing I have to add packet 2 which is metabisulphite. If I do the Buttery option I add 1/4 teaspone of this. Do I add it agaoi in stage 3?

Thanks for the help

Once it stops fermenting add 1/4 teaspoon of K-meta. Do not add any of the packages # 2 - 4 until a month later.

Back