Temp and clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maddog

Reaction score
If a wine will not clear due to suspended yeast will lowering the temperature make it better or worse? I thought about trying to throw it in the fridge for a bit.

It's an apple wine. I have degassed, and pectic enzyme was added when I started the batch. It's been aging for two months and there is only a tiny bit of very fine sediment on the bottom. The wine is still opaque. It's a uniform color and doesnt look like pectin haze (not cloudy).

Putting in the frig mite help. Warming it up to 75 degrees or so mite help. Time will probably help. Mite try degassing a little more. Mine (apple) finally fell clear after about 6 months. Good luck. Arne. If all the others fail, you mite have to add some super kleer or sparkaloid.

It's a physics thing - warmer wine clears faster. Low to mid 70's F is a good temperature for clearing.

If it's not degassed well, it will not clear well.

The strange thing is a batch I started two weeks later is already clear. The recipes were similar but not identical. Must be something different. I'll try a little bentonite. I have that on hand. I that doesnt work, I'll leave it for 6 months :h

Latest posts

Back