Tasted first wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jethro

Reaction score
I have two 1-gallon wine containers that I made from Welch's grape juice--AB and C.

AB tastes tarter than what I'm used to drinking--Almaden Cabernet sauvignon--and lacks the smooth mouthfeel of the commercial wine.

C tastes equally tart. But it is a little tastier.

I remember eating Concord grapes off trees here in Pennsylvania in August. And yes, they are tart. So am not surprised the wine tastes tart. Do I like it? No. But I will drink it. And I will make Cabernet sauvignon, even though it will take 2.5 years.

Not surprised the Welch's wine doesn't taste as good as the Cabernet sauvignon, since I didn't store it in an oak barrel. But I don't honestly know if the Cabernet sauvignon was store in an oak barrel or not. The cabernet sauvignon is a Chilean wine.

No MLF, no. AB finished fermenting the end of Aug. 2013. C 2 weeks later.

I have two 1-gallon wine containers that I made from Welch's grape juice--AB and C.

AB tastes tarter than what I'm used to drinking--Almaden Cabernet sauvignon--and lacks the smooth mouthfeel of the commercial wine.

C tastes equally tart. But it is a little tastier.

I remember eating Concord grapes off trees here in Pennsylvania in August. And yes, they are tart. So am not surprised the wine tastes tart. Do I like it? No. But I will drink it. And I will make Cabernet sauvignon, even though it will take 2.5 years.

Not surprised the Welch's wine doesn't taste as good as the Cabernet sauvignon, since I didn't store it in an oak barrel. But I don't honestly know if the Cabernet sauvignon was store in an oak barrel or not. The cabernet sauvignon is a Chilean wine.

I am also not surprised that the welches wine is not as good as the cab sav. Being that cab sav has been cultivated for hundreds of years for making wine and all. While, the stuff inside of welches has been cultivated for sippy cups.

You might try checking the gravity on the welches wine. They might need a bit of sugar in them.

Update: After running out of Almaden Cabernet sauvignon, I decided to try the Welch's again last night. A couple months ago, I'd noticed that one one of the plastic airlocks in the carboy had snapped. I had meant to replace it. But I did not. So no surprise the wine was oxidized, as I had left both batches in their carboys. So I grabbed the other carboy to try the first batch. OOPS! There was no water in the airlock. It was also oxidized.

So I learned my lessons. First, I need at least one backup airlock for each carboy, preferably two, in case it breaks. Second, I ought to have placed the carboys in the refrigerator when they were done aging (or better yet, bottled the wine :) )
The good news is......I can pour this homemade Welch's wine down the drain now.

Latest posts

Back