Other Tannin experiment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
For those of you who add tanning, I wanted to ask which of these wines would most likely benefit best from it? I know it has a lot to do with my particular taste but I'd like to hear some recommendations.

These are the first I have done of these kits.

My idea is to take the ones below that I decide to add tannin to, and bottle half of it and then add tannin to the other 3 gallons in a 3 gallon carboy and let it sit for a little while longer before bottling.

Right now in carboys I have:
Ken Ridge Tempranillo Garnacha
Eclipse Lodi Cab 11
Eclipse Old Vine Zinfandel
Celler craft showcase Amarone

With the exception of bulk aging about 90 days, pretty much followed the instructions to a T on these. May have left the oak cubes in for an extra two or three weeks though.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I added tannin gran CRU to WE Lodi Cab about two weeks before bottling. I'm glad I did. Definitely improved the mouth feel and structure. I plan on doing same to CC Amarone after it has bulk aged for one year.

I think that is a fantastic idea for experimentation. I just did some googling, and all of those varietals can benefit from tannins. What we don't really know is how much tannins the unmolested kits have. Also, I suppose it depends on how many 3-gallon carboys you have. I personally would (very subjectively) rank them this way, with the importance of tannins the highest at the top:

Eclipse Lodi Cab 11
Cellar craft showcase Amarone

In limited experience I've found that the LD Carlson oak powder tannin is relatively short lived in whatever you put it in, especially as a finishing tannin. Tannin Riche, conversely, seems to want to go the distance. A few months ago, Txbrew put out a nice article on tannins. If you haven't seen it, it's here.

I did the same thing on my first red (adding Tannin FT Rouge to 3 gallons and aging it an extra month before bottling it). I'm still just tasting splits from those batches but I was convinced early on that adding tannin is a "fruitful" tweak for getting more out of kit wines. I typically add FT Rouge or Tan'Cor Grand Cru to my reds now. I agree with the previous poster, I think it's worth getting the more "engineered" tannins rather than generic grape tannin since its just pennies difference per batch and I'd rather stick with finishing tannins that will actually integrate and persist when adding post-fermentation.

Last edited:
Right now in carboys I have:
Eclipse Lodi Cab 11
Celler craft showcase Amarone

Would you believe I have all four of those in some stage of progress. I have added FT Rouge and or TanCor Grand Cru to all of them. I think the combination of a grape pack, added tannin, French oak spiral and three months in a barrel have taken my wine making to a happy place.

Would you believe I have all four of those in some stage of progress. I have added FT Rouge and or TanCor Grand Cru to all of them. I think the combination of a grape pack, added tannin, French oak spiral and three months in a barrel have taken my wine making to a happy place.

I agree completely. The added tannins and barrel time are a fantastic tweak.

I add tannins to all my reds. For s 'sturdier red like cab or merlot, I add a generic tannin I bought and still have around to primary about 1 tbsp. I add a more refined tannin like grand cru or tannin riche after barrel ageing before they go in the bottle. I highly recommend tannins as a successful tweak!

Do any of you make any white wines? I started to adding finishing tannins to my white wines, it is too early to tell but I am thinking I am going to be quite pleased.

Do any of you make any white wines? I started to adding finishing tannins to my white wines, it is too early to tell but I am thinking I am going to be quite pleased.

I have a Viognier bucket going now. I was tempted to put some in the primary, but didn't.

I been adding mind after fermentation.

I only have a must got going right now in a carboy. I don't figure I'll be adding tannin that one. However I do have a pacific quartet on deck. I really never thought about adding tannins to the whites.

I really appreciate the great input that everyone has given. Almost makes me want to forget the experiment and just add tannins to them all.

For the sake of the experiment though I would like a few more opinions. I only have one 3 gallon carboy and four batches of wine in Bulk aging. I will be bottling and adding tannins to half one batch at a time. Once each batch is done, then I'll go on to the next in line. Any opinions on how long I should leave aging in the 3 gallon carboy before bottling and going onto the next would be appreciated.

I'm kind of hoping to hear "two weeks." This way I could work my way through them pretty quickly as well as free up my car boys for the wines on deck.

You don't have to add the tannins prior to fermentation, you can add after, just make sure you give it at least three weeks before bottling. They make tannins for white wines and to think they can benefit just as much as reds. Tannins really improve mouthfeel.

Interesting Julie. I never even thought about adding tannins to white wines. All of mine are in bulk aging right now so I'm just wondering how long I should leave them after I add the tannins to them before I can bottle and go on to the next batch with my 3 gallon carboy

Broge, as I am completely unaware of your situation... is buying a few more carboys an option? I am a big fan of splitting batches and have 4-3gal carboys for doing so. It's much more economical time-wise to do 60 bottles/run as it is 15. If you do take the plunge, be sure to have a way of identifying the bottled product until you label.

Otherwise, 4 weeks/batch

Broge, you would need to leave them for at least three weeks before bottling. LOL, sorry for throwing a wrench into you thread about the whites. I am enjoying this thread and really love the idea of experimenting.

I think you're right. I just need more carboys!! I just figured that since I'm letting these Bocage for quite some time anyway, might as well take advantage of the time and spread it out with fewer carboys.

I guess if I pick up at least one more 3 gallon, it will make things a little easier

How long to leave in finishing tannin? Depends on the tannin but the manufacturers offer suggestions. FT Rouge is listed as 3-6 weeks before bottling or racking. Tan'Cor Grand Cru is at least 2 weeks before bottling/racking.

Latest posts

Back