Taming the lighter fluid

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jblyth

Homemade Wine Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night I racked some peach/mango off the lees and stabilized with k-meta, but noticed that my calculated ABV seemed to be quite high(~13%). On tasting, it was exhibiting a sharp high alcohol flavor (not much fruit flavor), and not what I was expecting.

It's an all juice recipe and admittedly was a bit 'hot' on the initial SG reading when first mixed.

Any suggestions for taming the lighter fluid taste?

make a similar wine but very low alcohol and blend it. how many gallons is this? If this is a 5 gallon batch, if you make a gallon batch at 7% this should bring it down to 12%

Last edited:
I should have elaborated further: It's a 1 gallon batch to which I actually started with about 1 1/2 gallons (expecting it to drop with racking and lees). I was able to rack down to about a gallon and a quart (in a separate container).

I have a white Meza Luna which is a tad sweet, but not sure if that would blend well enough with a peach/mango? I suppose some bench trials could be in order with the extra quart container. Any other suggestions would be very welcome, since I don't want to waste this batch.

On a totally non-relevant side point, the Skeeter Pee I made with the initial peach/mango yeast slurry is turning out excellent!

Latest posts

Back