syrah might be stuck?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1

Reaction score
I'm doing petite syrah from a juice bucket this is my first year doing wine from fresh juice. The SG got down to 1.000 in about 6 days so i racked it to carboy and its been 7 days since racking and the SG has not changed should I be worried that the fermentation might be stuck I've only done kits before this and most of them finished around .996 or less.

The carboy is sitting at about 76 degrees since I pitched the yeast. Did not take ph/ta test because the guy said the juice was already pre treated. The juice is from lodi gold.

might just be a bit over worried but and input is very well appreciated.

Give the wine a really good stir several days in a row; make sure the temperature of the must, itself, is in the mid 70'sF. If it doesn't start in two days, raise the must temp to about 78F.

Sometimes a wine/yeast combo just will not go as low as others. Give it 4 or 5 more days.

I have had several fermentations stop at 1.000.

Did you adjust your reading for the temperature? Hydrometers are normally calibrated to a temp of 60 degrees. Best bet is to get a glass of distilled water and raise/lower the temp of it to the temp of your must. Water should be 1.000 Take the reading then adjust your must reading by the difference between 1.000 and the reading you take on the water.

Latest posts

Back