Cellar Craft Syrah California Reserve Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Randoneur

Reaction score
I just ordered this Cellar Craft Sterling Kit from George along with a Cabernet Sauvignon Grape Pack, thinking the Cab grape pack would give it addition compexity. Still have not received it, so it's not too late to change my plan. What do you folks think about putting the Cabernet grape pack in along with the Syrah grape pack that comes with the kit????????????

It should give an increase in alcohol content, that I would probably wish to avoid. Substituting the Cab grape pack for the included grape pack might provide the desired complexity without the alcohol increase..

Steve

I think with the money you spent on extra grape packs you could have had a showcase kit with much better juice as well as a grape pack......

Seems like a little overkill for that kit. One, maybe, definitely not worth 2 grape packs IMHO.

Bottled my CC California Syrah. Very good at bottling, can't wait for it to get some age on it.

20110501_204040_DSC00043_Copy.jpg

Looks good, Mark. I like your labels, very professional looking. I have stopped using the shrink caps except for wine I intend to give away.

This was a Sterling kit and the grape pack that came in it was very small. Once I opened up the kit and saw the size of the grape pack and took an S.G. reading, I decided to go ahead and add the second grape pack.
The original idea for buying this kit was to make a kit that I could start drinking earlier, but the second grape pack kind of killed that.......

I really think Mike was right in his first comment - I should have just bought a higher end kit.

I have never used that kit and from your note I probably never will. I really like the Spagnols Winery Series that George had on special last month. I made a Sangiovese from a kit (I can't remember the brand) and it was a 10 liter variety. The wine is okay and I have it in bottles. I plan to open one in a couple months and keep the rest for at least six months to a year.

Tasting today.
This is really coming along well. Semi sweet very jammy wine. Because of the second grape pack and high S.G. I did not ferment completely dry. The second grape pack really did fill this wine out - full bodied. Wonderful for such a young wine. Can't wait for the 6 month tasting, I may enter this in the local wine competition this August.

It's not often my little experiments have a happy ending.

Mark,

Good for you. You used both grape packs and you like the results! It is always fun to try something and it is not the end of the World if it does not work out exactly as planned. When it does work out, all the better.

Keep us informed on how you do in the competition.

Latest posts

Back