synthetic corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recommend this supplier (Carolina Wine Supply), some really good prices if you are a shopper. Not on every item but, for example, Italian floor corker $149, Portuguese floor corker $65.60. And the Nomacorcs (#9 x 1.75") $165 for 1000.
Wow, that's a very good price!

For my needs Diam 3 Tradition does the trick, but there are others that can be used for longer storage.
A bit pricy for my wallet.

I suspect you use a floor corker. Those score the Nomacorcs and create a channel in the side of the cork. That has been my experience. I still use Nomacorc Reserva but changed to a pneumatic corker. No issues...
They don’t recommend using Nomacorc Reserva with a floor corker( really only the 900s are compatible). However I use a technique of priming the cork with the floor corker jaws and then rotating the cork 1/4 turn. I do the priming technique 5 times before finally corking it. I solves the problem of the possible crease. I have floor cork batch’s with the Reserva without issue. I have switched to the Nomacorc Select Green 300s (30$ x100 at Crush2Cellar). These corks are rated 10 years. I use them for my reds with high hopes of a bottle actually lasting that long 🤣

The priming technique is my go to with the Nomacorks seating well but does add time to bottling.

Can anyone explain why a plastic jaw corker is acceptable to use with synthetic corks but a brass jaw corker is not? I don't see how the brass jaws crease the synthetic cork and the plastic does not. Don't they use the same mechanics to operate?

I have an Italian floor corker with brass jaws and have been using normacorcs for the past few years and have not seen any leakage on any of the bottles stored on their sides. I can see the crease on the corks when I pull them but they do not seem to be defective because of it. If they are not leaking, I assume they are not letting air into the bottle and they are doing their job.

I store around 70 bottles on their sides and the rest get boxed up and stored upright and stacked. I hate to lose this option and only synthetic corks allow this. I'm wondering if I should change to a plastic jaw corker.

Can anyone explain why a plastic jaw corker is acceptable to use with synthetic corks but a brass jaw corker is not? I don't see how the brass jaws crease the synthetic cork and the plastic does not. Don't they use the same mechanics to operate?
I think you have it backwards -- the plastic jawed Portuguese corkers appear to have more problems. I have a brass jaw Italian corker, and like you, it puts a visible mark, but the bottles don't leak. 5 bottles in 1,500 is a 0.3% failure rate, which I'm ok with.

BTW, the leaks I've experienced have been short term. I'm watching one bottle that has been in the rack for a year. It leaked 3 or 4 drops but nothing since then.

I have an Italian floor corker with brass jaws and have been using normacorcs for the past few years and have not seen any leakage on any of the bottles stored on their sides. I can see the crease on the corks when I pull them but they do not seem to be defective because of it. If they are not leaking, I assume they are not letting air into the bottle and they are doing their job.

I store around 70 bottles on their sides and the rest get boxed up and stored upright and stacked. I hate to lose this option and only synthetic corks allow this. I'm wondering if I should change to a plastic jaw corker.

I agree with your conclusions. The brass jaw "Italian" corker works fine with Normacorcs. I will also say that the Select 900s work well and the corker does not leave any marks. I have used the Green 300 series as well. They also work fine but the corker clearly leaves marks on the corks. I had one leak in 2000 bottles, so leakage is not a real issue.

I think you have it backwards -- the plastic jawed Portuguese corkers appear to have more problems. I have a brass jaw Italian corker, and like you, it puts a visible mark, but the bottles don't leak. 5 bottles in 1,500 is a 0.3% failure rate, which I'm ok with.

BTW, the leaks I've experienced have been short term. I'm watching one bottle that has been in the rack for a year. It leaked 3 or 4 drops but nothing since then.
https://longislandhomebrew.com/corkers/3966-floor-corker-boxed-with-takeoff-leg.html
Thats what i assumed but did a quick search and this is what I came across. The corker they say works with synthetic is plastic jawed.

It made me think that I've had the whole thing backwards. 🤔

Thats what i assumed but did a quick search and this is what I came across. The corker they say works with synthetic is plastic jawed.
Interesting. Very interesting.

Given that a bunch of us with both corkers report the opposite, it makes me wonder. One thing to note is that this is a LHBS, not the vendor. It's entirely possible they got it backwards and no one caught it.

I used Nomacorcs my first 2 years of wine making and noticed white wines seems to oxicize too quickly. I switched to #3 natural corks and was happy with result. Now I use only Diam corks after listening to an inside wine making podcast about them. They seem to be superior to natural corks in consistency, avoiding cork taint, etc. You have options to buy ones that are guaranteed to last 2, 3, 5, 10,15+ years depending on your goals. I have found they work better than Nomacorcs and natural corks. I have noticed a lot more California Wineries using them on their high quality wine and Burgundy France has greatly adopted them.

I used Nomacorcs my first 2 years of wine making and noticed white wines seems to oxicize too quickly.
I haven't seen oxidation in any of my wines using Nomacorcs. Granted, only a few of the whites were left 2 years after bottling, although I have a 5 yo metheglin that is holding fine.

Latest posts

Back