synthetic corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 900's are rated for 5 years, so my guess is that realistically we can reasonably count on 7 years. This is sufficient for my purposes.
all right @winemaker81 I do several long range wines for my wake, that being said if i had 1000 year corks I'd use them in hopes of living for another 999 years, can't blame me for hoping,,, lol
Dawg

use a decent bat winged corkscrew
While it could be the corkscrew, the different descriptions indicate the cause is more likely something else, such as a bad batch of corks or excessive heat. I use a simple waiter's corkscrew and have no problems uncorking Nomacorcs. I have had half a dozen instances of problems pulling synthetic corks from commercial wines, but these were orange tinged and didn't look like Nomacorcs.

One potential solution is to use a cork pull instead of a corkscrew.

all right @winemaker81 I do several long range wines for my wake, that being said if i had 1000 year corks I'd use them in hopes of living for another 999 years, can't blame me for hoping,,, lol
That sounds like a good strategy, and on the plus side, if it fails -- you won't know the difference!

While it could be the corkscrew, the different descriptions indicate the cause is more likely something else, such as a bad batch of corks or excessive heat. I use a simple waiter's corkscrew and have no problems uncorking Nomacorcs. I have had half a dozen instances of problems pulling synthetic corks from commercial wines, but these were orange tinged and didn't look like Nomacorcs.

That sounds like a good strategy, and on the plus side, if it fails -- you won't know the difference!
you're as messed up as i am,,,lol
Dawg

I'm not sure. The ones I tried look and feel slightly different than regular aglomerated corks. I do believe that I have seen them in commercial wines. Next time I pull one out, I'll post an image here.
20230707_165837.jpg
So I've been using these for a couple of years now, and had no leaks or stuck corks. Notice it looks a lot like the 7 deadly zins closure.

I too use a waiter's corkscrew -- Easy Peasy for All my Nomacorc vinos! (which are ALL of em as of the 1st of this year)

Cheers!

I too use a waiter's corkscrew -- Easy Peasy for All my Nomacorc vinos! (which are ALL of em as of the 1st of this year)

Cheers!
I do not like synthetic corks have had them get stuck in bottles, leak and even had some that left a off flavor in wines with aging and they don’t let in equal oxygen over time to natural corks we use Diam corks at the winery and have at every winery I have worked at as Diam corks have stricter quality control and a massively lower risk of TCA than other natural corks.

I do not like synthetic corks have had them get stuck in bottles, leak and even had some that left a off flavor in wines with aging and they don’t let in equal oxygen over time to natural corks we use Diam corks at the winery and have at every winery I have worked at as Diam corks have stricter quality control and a massively lower risk of TCA than other natural corks.
Where can one purchase the Diam corks. I am having a problem with cork taint.

After singing the praises of Nomacorc for a couple of years, I'm now going back to regular corks. I've used Nomacorcs for a few years with no issues. I store the bottles on their sides. Yesterday I went to get a couple of bottles of 2 year old Chardonnay and noticed wine had seeped out around the cork on both bottles. I like the idea of Nomacorc, but I never had a leak with regular corks.

After singing the praises of Nomacorc for a couple of years, I'm now going back to regular corks. I've used Nomacorcs for a few years with no issues. I store the bottles on their sides. Yesterday I went to get a couple of bottles of 2 year old Chardonnay and noticed wine had seeped out around the cork on both bottles. I like the idea of Nomacorc, but I never had a leak with regular corks.
I suspect you use a floor corker. Those score the Nomacorcs and create a channel in the side of the cork. That has been my experience. I still use Nomacorc Reserva but changed to a pneumatic corker. No issues...

I suspect you use a floor corker. Those score the Nomacorcs and create a channel in the side of the cork. That has been my experience. I still use Nomacorc Reserva but changed to a pneumatic corker. No issues...
Yep, I use a Portuguese floor corker. I'm aware that some of them score the Nomacorcs, but I've kept a careful watch for that and have not noticed it happening. But, I'm not gonna take the chance in the future.

Regular corks are all around superior in my opinion.

At first, I used natural corks, but they became too expensive. I switched to agglomerated corks and had some issues with disintegration. Then, I went to the three piece jobbie, with natural cork at both ends and agglomerated in the middle. They worked fine until the manufacturer decided to change a working process, probably to save a penny or two. I switched to Nomacorcs and have had no issues thus far. As a matter of fact, I just bought 1000 of them because I found a great price on #9 x 1 3/4" corks, instead of the usual #9 x 1 1/2".

I have had no issues with them and I store my wines upright in cases. Thanks for giving me something to worry about. I knew things were going too well! :m

I have had no issues with them and I store my wines upright in cases. Thanks for giving me something to worry about. I knew things were going too well!
I've been using Nomacorcs since 2018, and if I counted correctly, that 1,500+ bottles. I think I've had 5 leak, which is better than my record with natural corks. The ones that leaked only had a handful of drops make it past the cork. I have an Italian corker, and it does put a light scoring on the cork, but with minimal problems. The Portuguese corker with the plastic jaws appears to have more problems.

At first, I used natural corks, but they became too expensive. I switched to agglomerated corks and had some issues with disintegration. Then, I went to the three piece jobbie, with natural cork at both ends and agglomerated in the middle. They worked fine until the manufacturer decided to change a working process, probably to save a penny or two. I switched to Nomacorcs and have had no issues thus far. As a matter of fact, I just bought 1000 of them because I found a great price on #9 x 1 3/4" corks, instead of the usual #9 x 1 1/2".

I have had no issues with them and I store my wines upright in cases. Thanks for giving me something to worry about. I knew things were going too well! :m
BUT....... have you tried storing them on their sides? That's when I noticed the seepage. I would not have detected the problem if I had then stored upright.

I bought DIAM corks for my wines after having some not-so-pleasing experiences with Nomacorc and I never looked back.

G3 Enterprises sells them in bags of 1000:
G3 Enterprises | High-Performing & Sustainable DIAM® Corks

Other resellers repackage them in 25 and 100 pcs bags:
Corks- DIAM 5

For my needs Diam 3 Tradition does the trick, but there are others that can be used for longer storage. They also make the Origine and Mytik varieties for those so inclined. Check them out. They are far superior to other agglomerated cork brands.

Back