Swill's Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swillologist

Reaction score
This ismy meager atemped at a vineyard.it's not big enough for a vineyard. It should really be called a grape patch.

This is for you waldo. It is something I found on my computer and I have been playing with it. I hope it works. I have never tried it before. So here it goes.

Well it looked better before I uploaded it to photobucket. That is the only music I could find on my computer. Someday I am going to have to have the boys show me how to download
It is supposed to be the my new grape vines from a couple of weeks after I planted them until today. Edited by: swillologist

Very nice job swill! I see you have a lot of room for expansion there if the mood strikes you. Looks like a pretty good size vineyard to me when they all get bearing. Is that you with the turkey? Looks like a hunter's paradise there! Almost time for me to start thinning my "boarders" out. They are starting to defoliate some of the vines. I've got a nice crop of them for in a couple years!

How did you get a picture of a guy with a turkey.
smiley36.gif
I must have scewed something up. I'm not sure what picture you have. It could be. Is it some ugly guy with a beard?

Yeah it's some guy with a beard, not ugly though. It wasn't in the slideshow, but it all links to your hosted site with album pictures. Makes a nice way to share photos.

No wonder why he's not ugly. It's not me.
smiley36.gif
That is the handicappedkidthat Itook turkey hunting last spring. I didn't think I had a picture of me in there. I don't want to scare everyone.

I see that they all work the same way.

I have got another question for you appleman. Are Miller's tree good? We need a new yellow delicious. I thought I might give them a try.Edited by: swillologist

swillologist said:
No wonder why he's not ugly. It's not me.
smiley36.gif
That is the handicappedkidthat Itook turkey hunting last spring.

What a wonderful thing for you to do! There are all kinds of activities for handicapped people to do outside and it's great to be able to make their faces brighten. It makes your heart glow!

Thank you. I probably enjoy it more then they do. I took another guy out a week ago last Saturday. He harvested a nice doe. He was tickled and so was I. Well until it came time to drag it out.
smiley36.gif
I just uploaded the picture of him and that ugly guy. I don't know why he had to have me in the picture.Edited by: swillologist

Didn't know at first that I could click on the filmstrip...Nice show....I enjoyed the photos too.

Are those your little boys???? Cute little ones aren't they.

Sorry Swillologist, I missed the question about Miller's. I've used them before for small orders and never had any problems with them. Quality seems to be good and if an item dies they replace it for shipping.

Thanks NW! I can't take credit for them NW. But I can take credit for their Dad. Those are our Grandsons. And we sure enjoy them when we can.

Thanks appleman! I normally buy them from a nurseries here but I thought I would like to try something different.Edited by: swillologist

While we were away for the weekend it looks like a deer came to supper.

100_1291.jpg

This is kinda what the vine looked like before. Although they dinned a little on this one also.

100_1292.jpg

Going to pick the high bush cranberries this afternoon.

100_1290.jpg

I picked some of the pumpkins yesterday afternoon.

100_1293.jpg

We are going to make a trip up to see the Grand kids tomorrow.We are going to take pumpkins up to them.

Swill...boy, those deer don't miss a trick....turn your back and they are taking advantage of the situation.

Nice punpkins....your grandkids will love them. Last weekend was pumpkin Days in our local town...the winner this year was 936 pounds...last year it was over 1000. There is Pumpkin Growers club here...they really get into it....The inject something into the stems all summer [maybe milk] When you drive by their farms they have little tents built over the big ones....when they are small they choose only one pumpkin per plant and they putit on a wooden palate so they can load them with a Fork-lift in the fall...pretty amazing.

I guess they had a 500 pound squash there this year [tho I think those pumpkins are really squash] Wonder if it was one of those eastern Grey Hubards.....We didn't partake of the festivities this year...busy down on the farm.

I wonder if the deer will taste like wine this fall whenI harvest a couple of them.
smiley36.gif

They had something on the news last night about a big pumpkin (squash). I think they said that the weigh-in is this weekend down here. They thought theone they were showing last night might be a new record. It was off of the chart that they use to estimate it.

I have a question NW. What would be a good starting SG for high bush cranberry? The recipe I got from Jack Keller's website doesn't say.

The deer will taste great....especially with some pumpkin pie.

They take these Gigantic Pumpkins all over the country...try to win a national prize someplace.

I tasted those High Bush Cranberries again...you for sure want to spit them out...but the aftertaste is pretty good. I start all my fruit wines at about 1.085...I am a creature of habit.

Does anyone know about the nuts that fall from the Ohio Buckeye tree???

Our little tree bloomed this summer and was loaded with Buckeyes...they look like chestnuts...now they have fallen and the squirrels are hauling them off....I want to try to plant some...but maybe the squirrels are planting them for me.Edited by: Northern Winos

I'm getting more and more of the vines I planted looking like those Swill.They are planted near some of the apple trees and the deer are coming in to feed on the apples I have left for them. Being a browsing animal, they are browsing on the nice young vines. They really don't damage them too much as long as they don't break the main canes. I walked the vines this evening and just about jumped out of my skin. One of the old does snorted and blew the other side of the row I was walking down about 10 feet away! I bleated back at it and could hear them all milling around in the edge of the woods waiting to come back out.

I told then all- come back next weekend and do that- I'll have the .50 cal muzzleloader out next Saturday morning to greet them. I expect more grape overtones in the venison this year, they have been munching down the higher grapes that the coons can't reach. I had some real nice Catawbas and now they are gone. The chew them up and spit the skins out in a pile on the ground to taunt me!
smiley36.gif
smiley7.gif

NW.
I don't know if this stuff will be fit to drink when I get done. I tried them several different time whenI was stemming them. They never did get very good. But I'm going to give it a go. I will start out at 1.085. Thanks!

100_1296.jpg

appleman
Good luck with the Ole frontstuffer. That's what i will be using here also. It will be in the .45 line thought. ButI could just get out the Ole .50 cal. round ball thrower and thump another deer with it. It's been awhile since I have had it down from the rack. Edited by: swillologist

I think I am going to have a late crop of high bush cranberries.
smiley4.gif
I found these Friday morning.

100_1300.jpg

I think the frost might get these. I got to close to them. The picture is blurred.

Those mightget a bit cool before getting ready. I too noticed blossoms on Saturday on the elderberries. Bothing is sure of the seasons anymore.

Latest posts

Back