Cellar Craft sweetness of Blush Zinfandel?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
So my wife likes a basic white zin (usually drinks Beringer White Zin). So I decided to make a CC blush zinfandel kit. The I fermented dry, but even after adding the small (maybe 1 cup) sweetening "syrup" that came with the kit it still tastes a bit on the dry side. Maybe off-dry I would say. Does this sound right? Will it taste sweeter with time or served chilled vs. it's currently 76 degrees F?
Thanks

You should definitely chill a sample and try a taste before you make any adjustments.

You can always make simple syrup and add some to sweeten the batch to your taste. Recommend bench trials in small samples before you treat the whole batch!

buy a bottle of the white zin that she likes, take a reading. Now you know what sweet level she likes. Take a reading of yours and if it is not up there, take some of the wine out, warm it up and add a little sugar to that and use this to backsweeten with.

There are calculators on here to calculate how much sugar to use to take a reading from point to another.

Just a ballpark rule of thumb, one cup of sugar will raise sg .018 per gallon

Ok, so just check with the hydrometer and then check mine and calculate the difference? Exciting. But I will chill some first. I am considered possibly splitting the batch as well and maybe doing half off-dry and half semi-sweet.

Shockwave, be sure to compensate for the temperature of your wine and the store bought wine when taking the SG. Sweeten slowly. My experience is sweet wine seems to get sweeter over time.

Latest posts

Back