Sweetener

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I read somewhere that bottled conditioners also include sorbate.If I use a simple syrup solution should I also add sorbate (or some other additive)?

Bert--the syrup was clear as a bell when I took it off the stove. After it cooled, and I poured it into a bottle, it had the slight tan color that was an exact match to the color of the wine conditioner that I bought from my LHBS.

Mark... Yes you do need to use sorbate and k-meta with the simple syrup...

muscadine wine....Honestly I just don't know...I have used syrup in a lot of my fruit wines with no problem...I just not sure what has happened

Bring water to boil, then add sugar. Boil and stir for five minutes. Should I be doing it some other way? I know it should be hard to mess this up, but something is going wrong.
smiley5.gif

Maybe we are looking at the wrong thing.....What was the temp. of the wine when the syrup was added.....What kind of wine are weworking with???? I guess I'm just looking for something....I have used simple syrup and not had a problem, but not to say there can't be some out there.Edited by: Bert

The crystals and "setting up" were noticeable about 24 hours later in the bottle that I had put the syrup in. I had already put most of the bottle in the cranberry, and there was a small amount left.

I don't think you need to boil it that long. You just need to dissolve the sugar and killany bacteria in the water and both shouldhave beendone with a quick stirwhen it starts to boil. Edited by: swillologist

GOOD MORNING
smiley17.gif
when you desolve sugar( cane sugar)after the water has desolved the sugar and or if you useing high heat you will turn the solution a deeper color thats natural ,your starting to carmelize the sugar and take it to a different level of thickness,theres no problem with that itadds a better mouth feel reinforce it with K-MET/SORBATE ,the trick is to keep it in a air tight container like a BALL canning jar with a seal it will hold for a long time then as if magic start to form rock candy on the bottom of the jar
smiley31.gif

cornfield-- Yes, I did have a stainless steel pot that I used, courtesy of my wife. Yes, she caught me!

swillologist--I may try that, get it hot enough to completely dissolve the sugar and take it off the stove.

joeswine--should I try what swillologist recommended? Maybe I am getting it to hot for to long. I had one of the bottles that the Wine Conditioner came in, and that is what I put my syrup in. As I said, help is needed and all is appreciated. I am still in the rookie stage on a lot of this.

MW///your really not going to boil the sugar if you keep the burner on med.heat that should be enough to desolve the sugr ,until it clears but you need patients to do this keep stirring all the while the process is going and it will clear,place it in a glass container with a good lid (air tight) or it will evaporate in time,don,t be concerned about what type pot your using doesn,t apply to this applacation,
smiley20.gif

joeswine, thanks for stepping in andhelping with this problem with the simple syrup...Your answer about the caramelized sugar made sense....I use syrup in a lot of my fruit wines and was very interested in what was going wrong with this batch....No matter how much wine we make or how long we have been doing it, we can still learn some new things...
smiley14.gif

joeswine---I will try keeping the heat down on the next batch, which will probably be this weekend. I have 11 gallons of scuppernong, 3 gallons of blueberry, and, well, I'm just behind. This thing with the sugar has been a real problem, and I think that with all this fine help, I may get going. Thanks for all the help and suggestions everyone. I will try them out shortly and see what happens.

And yes, I have seen that you can constantly learn new things!

I guess that it is a member of the muscadine family or a closely related. I'm sure a more knowledgeable person could tell you better than I can. It is common in my area. It is a light green to golden color when ripe and they are usually very sweet. I'm constantly eating them while picking them.

MUSCADINE WINE//well how did yiu make out this weekend?
smiley32.gif
Edited by: joeswine

Nothing went as planned. I got the bottles out and ready, but that is as far as it got. I hope one night this week to get all of the cranberry bottled. So much wine, so little time. Unless I take a day off......................
smiley4.gif

I've found that when I'am rushed or don't have enough time to do and take the care that is required ,I always make more work for myself,if the wine is prep right it will keep and wait for you to take care of it, one time right,,
smiley2.gif

Latest posts

Back