Sweet Potato Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gird123

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm in the process of making a sweet potato wine.

After peeling I have 42 lbs of sweet potato
I was able to get 4 gallons of water and 42lbs of potatoes in to my 10 gallon fermented. I did not have any raisins, but i added 10 ripe bananas. I added 14 lbs of sugar. I have not checked the sg yet because i just added the 2 tsps pectic enzyme. I was planning on a 6 gallon batch so i might have to split this to get a lower abv. I peeled, cut, and boiled the potatoes for 25 min. I then added them to the primary. Tomorrow I will check acid and sg. What sg should i shoot for i was thinking 1.090? If I go for 6 gal, do you think 8 lbs per gall is enough?

Any advice? Does this look ok?

Thank you,

Nate

it sounds like it should be enough I have never tried a sweet potato wine before this sounds very interesting though make sure you keep us posted on how it turns out good luck just keep your sg between 1.085-1.090 you don't want to over power your flavor

I predict your next posting on this batch will be "How do I test for a starch haze" :):) Crackedcork

You're right, I think I will go get some amylase.

I did look at Jack Keller's recipe, and i read another post on here where Tom said he would add the potatoes to the must. It is foaming like crazy.

nate

I would like to know how this tastes when it's finished. T Sweet potatoes are just something I never thought about making wine out of. Kind of like jalapeños.

I've made quite a bit of sweet potato wine (thirty gallons currently in-process) and I have never used amylase. My s.p. wine usually clears in about three months. I didn't use bananas so if it takes longer, don't blame the sweet potatos.

e-wine

I have done everything wrong here. I have a 10 gallon fermentor. I wanted to to do a six gallon batch so i added 42 lbs of sweet potatoes then i boiled 14 lbs of sugar and I was able to added 3.5 gallons of water to my 10 gallon fermentor. I also added 10 bananas with peels. I did all the other stuff yeast nut, acid blend to .60...

I checked my sg and it was 1.118 I just racked to a secondary tonight with an sg of 1.025. As I racked it a lot of the sweet potatoes turned to goey and ran though my straining bag. I added 1.5 more gallons to make six gallon fermentor and the SG was then 1.019. I thought it would go down more. Is there any way to calculate my sg at this point?

My sweet potatoes were white, very sweet and kind of nutty. I think this has a chance to be very good.
thank you,

Nate

gird123,

I usually have at least half an inch of sediment in a 5 gallon carboy before my first rack. I do not rack from the primary into the secondary but I do strain out as much as I can. And I do use a nylon bag in the primary.

By the second rack, my batches are clearing nicely. I'll try to post a picture or two sometime this weekend.

e-wine

If you have a chance I would like to see pics of yours. I think mine is going to look like water.

wow

I just sampled this after 3 months. WOW. this is currently the best white wine i have made. Has a very full body, slightly sweet, and very complex. I did not check the sg but i think it will continue to ferment to dry. It is still bubbling very slow.

bottled

Pretty good. It was better at 6 months. It still has a vanilla taste sort of a pepper smell.

I can't find where anyone has made this without peeling the potatoes. What's the benefit to peeling? If it's a sanitary issue can't you just scrub them good with a brush? I've never eaten an unpeeled sweet potato, except for baking and using butter and cinnamon on them. Makes my mouth water just thinking about it. Anyway, the skin stays together. If it goes into a strainer bag why peel 'em?

The sweet potato is past it's prime. Was very good for a while , but has developed a very strong pepper finish. Not a nice finish. I will try it again.

Latest posts

Back