Swamp Cooler

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure what kind of humidity it would throw on everything and might cause labels to peel up. Also not a great idea if you need to cool the room during the summer when most places are too humid, I guess if your in Arizona where it is very dry it might be good but over here in Ct. when its hot its also humid and i actually have to run a dehumidifier in there.

How about one of those small portable 7000btu air conditioners....Would keep the temp down, but would possible lower humidity too low also.

Just a thought...

I would rather have a lower humidity and cool wine then high humidity and damp cellar as the corks will form mold and ruin your wine and as long as your wine bottles are laying on their side it should do a decent job of keeping your corks maintained enough.

Swamp coolers work on the principle that evaporating water takes a lot of heat. They only work in arrid climates. One pound of water evaporated will drop the temperature of 1000 lbs of water by 1 degree F. How cold you can get is a function of the air temp and relative humidity. In Memphis in the summer at 95F air temp you might be able to get the water down to 80. In Phoenix you can get it to 40.

Unless you are in an extremely dry climate a swamp cooler is not a good idea.

Latest posts

Back