Survey: How many Wine Makers Grow their own fruit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 2 pear trees, 1 plum tree, 4 concord vines, 1 red seedless vine, blackberries, and ruhbarb.. I get great apple cider from an orchard down the road..

I have a small vineyard of 200 vines consisting of 10 varieties
Black Raspberries
Plums
Blueberries
Nanking Cherries
Apples
Rhubarb
Considering getting some bees

I have: 3 apple trees, 2 plum trees, 3 Blueberry bushes, 4 satsuma trees, 2 pears trees, 2 peach trees, 1 Asian 5-1 pear tree, 1 lemon tree, 1 pummelo tree. Currently I get fruit from the apples, plums, satsumas and the blueberries. Hoping the others will mature soon and give up the fruit.

I only grow my own jalapenos. We do grow other things on the property, but none are near enough to produce commercial wines.

A couple tart cherry trees which make some nice cherry wine. Old grape vine, not sure what variety but it does produce a nice crop every year. And some hops for the beer. Would like to do more.

I have rhubarb in the garden and a large died at the back of me with cherry,pear,elderflower/berry blackberry and dandelions neighbour keeps bees so might get to do some mead ;-)

We grow Sweet Cherries, Yellow Cherries, Plums, Peaches, Pears, and Mullberries.
There's nothing like fresh tree ripe fruit.

I have 6 red currant bushes, and 40 hops plants. lol I know wine making stuff. hmmmmmm wonder how hops wine would be.

Nothing at the moment. But since taking up this hobby just a couple short months ago, I'm already thinking about planting a few Nortons or Chambourcin. Nothing much, but it would be neat to make a gallon or two from homegrown grapes each year.

Big Problem

Last year I harvested grapes from my 2 Fontenac plants..Got over 30 pounds of grapes..after fermintation I tossed the must in the compost pile..this spring I noticed a 3ft. square carpet of green vegetation coming up..after about 3 weeks and more leaves appeared that I have about 1000 baby fontenac grape seedlings about 1/2 Griss 1/2 regular grape. They are about 2-3" tall now.

I am thinking about planting some scuppernongs and muscadines on some property of a friend. Otherwise, I am going to buy any fruit I need.

I have around 50 muscadine vines, 40 of which I just planted this year, so I'll have enough for a bucket or 2 of wine this year. I'm also starting some elderberry bushes which won't be bearing for another year or 2. The drought and hot spring have made it difficult for transplanting this year, so I'm not sure what the future will bring. I lost 5 vines this spring.

I have aprox 230 vines consisting of: Marquette, LaCrescent and Brianna grapes.

Also grow Plums, Apricots, Apples and several varieties of cherries which include:
Nanking
Evans
Rose
as well as chokecherry and sand cherry.

Next spring I plan to put in another 70 vines. The variety has yet to be determined.:dg

Nothing yet, but getting closer to retirement with plans for enough land to grow several fruits for eating and fermenting after moving away from the big city.

Just preparing ground for next years planting ( about a100) vines. Otherwise I have 4 blueberry bushes and a couple blackberries just getting started growing

I just sprayed about an acre to kill off the quack grass and other weeds. Looking for a decent tractor to break up the soil in about a month. I will then spray one more time, till one more time and try to get some kind of grass ground cover seeded in August. That should have me ready to make rows and plant next spring.

Back