Survey: How many Wine Makers Grow their own fruit?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonsblood

Reaction score
Just curious how many of you Wine Makers grow your own fruit or grow your own grapes?
What do you grow?
Myself, I grow:
raspberries
strawberries
rhubbard
blueberries
pick wild blackberries on our land
and have started lil vineyard (20) plants 6 varieties
(have a good friend that supplies me with cranberries from local bog
which makes a great wine)

I grow my own grapes for wine and currently buy no juice. I'm very small and only producing under 10 tons, but hope to double that this year at around 30-40000 pounds.

I grow an assortment of things. Not all of the produce goes into wine though; some goes into jellies, jams, deserts, canned fruit, etc.

Grapes - 26 vines (frontenac, frontenac gris, LaCrescent)
Rhubarb - 3 hills
Gooseberries - 6 bushes
Saskatoon Berries - 2 bushes
Red Currents - 5 bushes
Plums - 2 trees
Tart Cherries - 2 trees
Apple - 1 tree
Raspberries - a wide row 30' long
Pears - from neighbor
Mullberry - from neighbor
Elderberries - from the wild

Our Wineyard has elderberries, black jewel raspberries, triple crown blackberries, black and red currants, josta berries, Illinois mulberries, Montmorency cherries, plums, chokecherries and honey bees for making mead. Crackedcork

My tiny little yard just has three little rhubarb plants. But next week I will have 12 acres to start playing with!

I buy most of my fruit at produce auctions. I have a couple of sugar pear trees and will be planting 8 Marquette vines this spring as soon as they show up.

I have rhubarb and the field at the back of Mr has cherry,pear,blackberry,elderberry and crab apple :)

I have crabapples, pie cherries, red currants, rhubarb and elderberries in the yard. The strawberries all died off last year, have to start some again. Have a few rasberries, not enough for winemaking and cut the monster mulberry down a couple of years ago. No berries now, but don't track the stains in the house either. Have an unending supply of lemon juice from Sam's club too. Gotta keep the skeeter pee coming. LOL, Arne.

I have 60 vines at 8 different varietals
Red yellow and black rasps
Blackberries
Very young pear and plum trees.
Oh and some rhubarb.

Lots of work!

Muscadines, blackberries, blueberries all planted this year. Not much, but hopefully enough to supply my operation.

I'm growing:
Elders (wild, Adams, York)
Blackberries (Navaho thornless)
Red raspberries (Heritage)
Black currants (Ben Sarek)
Blueberries (Chandler, generic)
Golden currants
Sour cherries (Danube)
Sweet cherries (Lapins, Black Gold, Black Tartarian)

Most are young, but getting quite a bit from some of them.

My tiny little yard just has three little rhubarb plants. But next week I will have 12 acres to start playing with!

The acreage will be nice, but it doesn't take a lot of space to grow a lot. Obviously commercial growing needs more, but for a family you can fit a lot into an acre or less.

You'll be in heaven :)

I grow rhubarb here in town. On the FIL's acreage we have a bunch of raspberries. I used to have a huge strawberry patch on my farm, I really miss that. :ts

BobF said:
The acreage will be nice, but it doesn't take a lot of space to grow a lot. Obviously commercial growing needs more, but for a family you can fit a lot into an acre or less.

You'll be in heaven :)

I'm hoping to open for business in a couple of years.

I have 16 black currant bushes, some blackberries, and a beauty berry bush that someone gave me but young so hasnt produced yet.

It is nice to see winemakers across the country grow their own fruit/grapes..I realize not everyone can do that, but you can grow a few blueberries or rhubbarb even on a city lot, and they will grow in some of the coldest climates.

I grow:

several varieties of Muscadines including scuppernong
Delaware grapes
Cherries
Pears
apples
peaches
Elderberries
Blueberries
figs
rhubarb
wild blackberries but you have to watch out for timber rattlers

Thinking about strawberries but there are so many strawberry farms around here and they are plentiful.

Latest posts

Back