RJ Spagnols Super Tuscan with grape pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Repsolal, <?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

I just checked my Super Tuscan (the batched that I racked on 7-2-11) and the SG is at 0.998 (down from 1.010 at racking) and it is still fermenting, but very slowly. I imagine it will get to 0.997 or even 0.996 when "dry."

The first batch I made went to 0.999 (on 5-16-11) at which point I added the K-meta and the K-sorbate (both packages per the instructions). I just checked it a few minutes ago and it is at 0.996 and it tastes great. I followed all the directions in the kit to a tee, including adding both the k-meta, k-sorbate and two types of clarifiers. I strongly recommend that you do this.

Also, here is an extract of a reply that I got from "Appleman," a very experience winemaker, that gives a better explanation of what the function on k-sorbate is:

"(a) second misconception is that you can reliably stop a fermentation by adding K-Sorbate. All that does is prevent yeast multiplication, not hinder fermentation."

So, my answers to your questions are: the final SG will likely be around 0.996-0.997; yes, you could probably leave out the clearing agents (but why do it?) and if you ferment it to "dry," i.e. there is no more sugar, you could probably get away without adding the k-sorbate (again, but why do it?).

Repsolal said:
Im guessing this is because some kits in this line (syrah) may finish slightly above 1.00 and have the risk of fermenting in the bottle.

Where does the Super Tuscan generally finish ??

Does anyone else here leave out the sorbate and clearing agents on this line of kit ?

I made a double batch of Super Tuscan last Sept and finished at 0.992. As far as the sorbate goes, it does more for your wine than prevent the growth of your yeast colony. It also inhibits the growth of certain types of bacteria. I wasn't using it for awhile, but I determined that I can't detect 3g of sorbate in even 1 gallon of water, not to mention 6, so I always put it in now. Cheap insurance, like KMeta.

Oh, I always use my clearing agents, too. But I usually bottle by the 6 month point. If you were to bulk age for a year and maybe filter the wine, you could probably get away without them.

Started jun 251.10
Currently Jul 13 at .994 (18days)
Smelled great when I tested the sg !
Going to rack and stabilze this afternoon, and taste.
Just ordered the Australian Meritage winery series for my next kit which will be # 25 for 2011

Well that was disappointing.......... the Meritage kit was backordered, so I picked up a Cru Select Chilean Malbec which I have not tried before.

Day 141 for the Super Tuscan , bottled it today and must say it tastes excellent !Also bottled the Winery series Aus Meritage and really like it too, a little more fruity than the Tuscan.I will likely make both of these again.Also Bottled the Cru Select Chilean malbec............ and really like it too !Got my cellar back up to approx 900 bottles after not bottling anything for the past 3 monthsdue to being too busy at work.

The Chilean Malbec was awesome and is probably even better now as when I made min e it was a limited edition and I dont remember it having the grape skin pack with it as it does now.

Latest posts

Back