Sulphite Additions

Discussion in 'Kit Winemaking' started by kuziwk, Apr 17, 2019.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Apr 17, 2019 #1

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

I know this has been asked a thousand times. I think I have those down to a T but I want to make sure my wines are getting enough sulphites. Upon adding 4G of Sulphites during degassing and clearing, I rack in roughly three weeks for bulk aging after that and let it sit for 2 months more before either racking or bulk aging further. At this point I add an additional 1/4 tsp even if I'm bottling. Is this sufficient for the Sulphites or should I be adding more after racking from clearing? If I was looking to bulk age further which I am, I don't anticipate racking any further so is the wine safe to sit for 6 months in this state with no sulphite Additions?

Example of what I do (basically Sulphites every 3 months)
    January-Clearing and degassing -4G sulphite
    February- rack wine into carboy, no Sulphites
    March- aging, no sulphites
    April- rack wine and add 1/4 tsp sulphites

If this is fine do I need to add more Sulphites if the wine is not being racked further past this say in 6 months? I would think racking is not required since I don't imagine much sediment dropping after the last racking at the initial 3 months.

2. Apr 17, 2019 #2

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

Not sure if what I do is right or wrong, but it seems to work out just fine. I first add So2 at clearing and degassing. Let it sit for a month or so, rack and So2 again, plus any oak additions. Then it sits untouched for about six months (whites) or a year (reds). About a month prior to bottling I rack and So2 again. Then bottle. I have plenty of wines that are 4-5 years old without any signs of excessive oxidation.

Rice_Guy likes this.
  3. Apr 17, 2019 #3

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

So should I be adding the 1/4tsp sooner than? Technically I'm racking after clearing I just thought the initial 4G which is basically 3/4 tsp would be enought to hold for three months before adding another 1/4tsp. Anyways this was the link that got me thinking...https://www.winemakingtalk.com/threads/time-for-a-radical-departure-in-bulk-aging-rules.27936/page-3

4. Apr 17, 2019 #4

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

Sounds like what you're doing is fine. The reason I add the second dose so soon after clearing is because I don't want to touch it, or rack it again for 6 months to a year. The third dose is just prior to bottling, where it will sit for another 6 months (whites) or 1 year (reds) before I start to drink them.

Rice_Guy likes this.
  5. Apr 17, 2019 #5

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

Yeah that makes sense, I do add another 1/4 tsp before bottling, so it basically means 1/4 tsp after the initial package dose every 3 months regardless if I'm bottling. There is some sulphite aroma once bottled but it goes away in about a month. If I bottle only a month or so after that last addition I would just use 1/8 of a teaspoon.

So you leave the wine for 6 months with no further additions with a standard water air lock?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  6. Apr 17, 2019 #6

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

I use these: https://morewinemaking.com/products/silicone-stopper-breathable-carboy.html

7. Apr 17, 2019 #7

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

These are safer? I heard when you have temperature fluctuations that the water air locks tend to lose a lot of Sulphites (winter temps to summer)...I guess these would be the same though.

To be honest after I racked from the initial clearing it doesn't even really look like I need to rack again, I can't really see any sediment from the side. Should I just inject the Sulphites in the too?

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
  8. Apr 17, 2019 #8

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

These are way better than water airlocks.

9. Apr 17, 2019 #9

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

Thanks I'll check out Amazon if they have any

10. Apr 17, 2019 #10

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

11. Apr 17, 2019 #11

Brian55

Brian55

Brian55

Why would you feed that beast? Especially when they're cheaper at MoreWine. Free shipping over $35

12. Apr 17, 2019 #12

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

I'm in Canada lol

13. Apr 18, 2019 #13

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Rice_Guy

Silicone stoppers don’t give a perfect seal, when I have put them on a flexible wall Cubitainer (ex storage between last racking and bottling) they will allow the cubitainer to reinflate to a square shape over night. As a comparison I have left wine in a cubitainer six months, using a solid stopper, without noticeable inflation to square shape.
    I have been happy with silicon mainly when active fermentation is going on.

The airlock issue I have had is forgetting to check carboys in long term storage/ie the airlock goes dry. Some place here in WMT I saw the trick of using glycerin, which doesn’t evaporate, in the airlock.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  14. Apr 18, 2019 #14

Keith5

Keith5

Keith5

JohnD, do you use the breathable silicon bung you referred to for 6 gallon carboys for long term aging (6-24 months) of reds And whites or Fruit wines? I’m assuming you do.
    Thanks Keith

15. Apr 18, 2019 #15

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Yes, have had them on 6 gallon glass carboys for years, as well as my 6 gallon vadai barrels. The soft white silicone bungs from MoreWine are unlike the more yellowish ones, they fit like a glove in carboys and barrels and are trouble free.

16. Apr 22, 2019 #16

Keith5

Keith5

Keith5

Awesome thank you JD

17. Apr 22, 2019 #17

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

jsbeckton

18. Apr 24, 2019 #18

kuziwk

kuziwk

kuziwk

I'll have to pick up a few of those stoppers. So the general consensus is that if you aren't racking there is no need to add 1/4 tsp every 3months? I'm planning on bulk aging a limited edition super Tuscan for a year, doing a side by side comparison of the same kit with clearing agents and one without, which is why I'm trying to get the sulphite additions down.

19. Apr 24, 2019 #19

Putterrr

Putterrr

Putterrr

or you could buy direct for 1/2 the price. ask for roger

vintable.com