Sulpher smell

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierce652

Reaction score
Started a Cellar Craft barolo kit on saturday and fermentation is going strong and is now slowing a bit. I have it in the computer room on a cabinet.

I was in the room yesterday and thought the cat had gas. Its starting to give off a sulpher smell. Is this normal? I popped the top and it looks fine, the foaming has calmed down and it smells great. The gas its giving off isnt.

My wife is not gonna like me by the time primary fermentation ends.

Is this normal?

quote: "is this normal?"

it depends....have you tried changing the cat's diet?

ok just kidding.....question for you....how are you distinguishing between the smell of the wine and the gas?...the aroma should be closely associated

are you sure you are not just smelling the co2 release?

Any active fermentation gives off gases of one kind or another. Some varietals seem to be more smelly than others. At this point I wouldn't worry about it, but if it continues for a few weeks and smells of rotten or boiled eggs, let us know. It could be hydrogen sulfide, but I doubt it at this early point. You will probably notice the smell soon go away.

I'm not sure if it's co2 or not, I never noticed it in beer making. It does kind of smell like boiled eggs. It began yesterday when the heavy fermentation slowed and the head dropped in the bucket.

It's not making me nervous at this point, I just wasn't expecting it.

Pierce652,

Yeast will kick of H2S during the fermentation process, so if you happen to get a little whiff, it could be that. If a wine develops a predominance of H2S due to yeast being stress or poorly nutriented, it's normally quite noticeable. Keep an eye on it over the next few days and see how it progresses. Many of my fermentations have presented a hint of sulfide smells during active fermentation only to have that smell die down as the fermentation finished.

The human nose can also detect H2S at very low levels - give it a little time and keep us updated.

- Jim

Thanks guys...now Im starting to get a bit worried. I talked to a local shop owner who also said that some yeasts give off the smell but also warned me about hydrogen sulfide and said it should be addressed sooner than later. He recommended taking a hydrometer reading to see how far along the fermentation is and possibly rack it over to a carboy. He also said that I can add yeast nutrient and the problem should be fixed...if it even exists.

Is this sound advice?

i'm a little surprised at the responses. we've all made wine from kits, and some of us from our own grapes, buthow many have had a concerning sulfur smell during the primary fermentation; enough to start thinking of the cat?
anyway, did you taste the must? early on it is sweet; near completion it tastes like wine. does yours fall into that category? does it have an unpleasant bitter or unpalatable sour taste? it won't poison you to taste it.let us know because i am courious as to how it tastes.

Pierce65,

What yeast is provided with the kit and what is your starting and current specific gravity. Don't panic.

- Jim

Pierce -like Jim says don't get worried. A lot of new makers think they have a problem so they are ultra-sensitive to new odors and try to relate to a known smell. Some kits are more prone to having extra smells. Montrachet is notorious for producing hydrogen sulfite, but the wines are excellent when finished. Mosti Mondiale was having some kits with that problem also and decided to help the kits out with the addition of an extra small packet of yeast nutrient after about 10 days or first racking.

Also like reisjdmd says, taste the wine and see what it is like.

Im at work now but will give it a taste when I get home. The yeast used was ec-1118. I say used because I bought additional packets of yeast and used the purchased yeast as opposed to the yeast in the box. A habit from brewing beer. Im almost positive the strain used was the same as the one in the kit.

If that is what you used, it probably isn't H2S, so again it probably isn't any problem. Here is a bit more information on EC-1118

EC-1118
Saccharomyces bayanus

Origin
The EC-1118 strain was isolated, studied and selected from Champagne fermentations. Due to its competitive factor and ability to ferment equally well over a wide temperature range, the EC-1118 is one of the most widely used yeasts in the world.

Oenological properties and applications
The fermentation characteristics of the EC-1118 — extremely low production of foam, volatile acid and hydrogen sulfide (H2S) — make this strain an excellent choice. This strain ferments well over a very wide temperature range, from 10° to 30°C (50° to 86°F) and demonstrates high osmotic and alcohol tolerance. Good flocculation with compact lees and a relatively neutral flavor and aroma contribution are also properties of the EC-1118.

The EC-1118 strain is recommended for all types of wines, including sparkling, and late harvest wines and cider. It may also be used to restart stuck fermentations.

An excellent choice for champagnes and late harvest wines. Also a very good choice for dry whites.

Well thats good to hear appleman. Im home now and just checked it. First, it seems like the smell is dissapating somewhat. Either that or Im getting used to it. Second I took a reading and its only at 1.07. My SG was 1.08 on saturday afternoon.

I tasted it and it tastes and smells fine. Just very sweet with a bit of a yeasty nose. Small bubbles are still rising and the airlock is still bubbling at 26 bpm.

Pierce652,

Let it ride - if the specific gravity is still at 1.070, the fermentation hasn't even really kicked into high gear. EC-1118 is pretty darn forgiving stuff, as well. Like Appleman said - there are a lot of smells going on there so don't worry about it and just keep checking the specific gravity to see how the fermentation progresses. Wines that ferment to 'dry' are generally around the 0.995 mark for specific gravity, for reference.

Jim

Back