Stuck Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Loren

Reaction score
Started 5 gallons Vintners Harvest Cranberry on 9-30. Used the receipe on the can, starting SG was 1.095, used RS Montrachet yeast, temp was 78 degrees. No fermentation had started on 10-3, discovered the yeast had been expired for a year, (I know Duhhh), anyway I hydrated a package of RS Pasteur Champagne and stirred it in the must. Started bubbling within a few hours. Have stirred it twice daily since. Sg is now at 1.070 on 10-8 and no sign of any activity, all the foam is gone and looks like it is dead. Need help please.

Have you taken an SG reading - just because there is no foam does not mean there is no fermentation going on.

Cranberry and Blueberry are tough as they naturally produce benzoate which is a yeast inhibiter. The best thing to do is make a yeast starter by getting a new packet of yeast and at this point I would suggest Red Star Premier Cuvee or Lalvin EC1118 as these are the toughest yeasts out there. Take that yeast and add that to some grape juice or Orange juice like 2 cups worth and also some yeast nutrient and yeast energizer. I would use about 1/2 tsp of nutrient and 1/4 tsp of energizer but get that juice up to about 75* before adding the yeast. Once that yeast gets going good add approx. 1/4 cup of the cranberry wine you have and wait till thats going good and then add another 1/4 cup. Once that gets going good again add a 1/2 cup and again wait to see if it slows down and if not add another 1/2 cup. Once thats all going good add all of the above to your wine and keep the temp up around 75* until its done fermenting which would be about an sg of around .995 or there abouts. Now, before doing any of this if your temp is below 75* then this could be the problem right here so raise the temp up to that and stir good to see if it gets going all by itself.

Strange, I have made this stuff twice without any problem, I think I used Lavin yeast those times though. Anyway Sg has been at 1.070 for two days. I have the Lavin EC-1118 and it is a new packet and also have the yeast Nutrient but do not have any yeast energizer, would have to order it and take about a week. The grape or orange juice you refer to, is that just regular juice or concentrate?

Yes, as long as there is no benzoate or metabisulfite in it. You will be alright without the energizer but I recommend getting some and using it from now on as its a better product when making fruit wines.

Thanks Wade, that will be the order of the day first thing in the morning. We just got back after spending four month in northwoods in NW Wisconsin and am very anxious to get all my wines going. Have to get it all in the bottles before June of next year. This one surprises me as I have never had any problems with it and it is my wifes favorite, it is the first one I am trying to start. Next one will be Black Currant, am really looking forward to it as you and others have said how awesome it is. Please recommend a yeast for it. Thanks in advance and will keep you posted on the Cranberry Loren

I like the Cotes Des Blanc or Pastuer Red for the Black Currant. Cotes des Blanc brings out more of the fruit flavor but even the Pastuer red does a good job at thyat and really brings out the deep rich color of the currants juice, There are no berries in the Currant. Ive made the Cranberry also and it was slower then all the others but I didnt do the Blueberry. Did you use 1 can per 5 gallons or 2 cans per 6?

I only use one can as she likes the light taste, We have a fish fry about every week or ten days here in Okeechobee, Fl., usually about 16 people and I supply the wine, Cranberry is the favorite, closely followed by Blackberry, Only have one primary so am anxious to get this Cranberry in the secondary. Thanks again, Loren

With having to supply that kind of an audience you need to get another primary!

The yeast was working real well until I put in the first 1/4 cup of cranberry wine, it slowed down a lot but came back in about 15 minutes. Then put in the second 1/4 cup and it really slowed down. after about an hour it was coming back pretty good. Added a 1/2 cup of wine and it almost quit, after several hours it was not doing anything. I added it to the wine anyway. Nothing happening. I had removed the bag earier, and what fruit was left had been suspended, but this morning it was floating on top. Temp was at
78*. Bout ready to flush it down. Loren

Everytime I look at this, it has stuff floating, not like the foam I would normally see and has a few tiny bubbles coming from it. Should I be stirring this? Is this yeast? Real scummy looking stuff. Loren

Is it still fermenting? You can verify with 3 consecutive days of the same SG reading.

If is done fermenting it could be CO2 bubbles - have you degassed it?

SG has been at 1.072 for several days and yes I have stirred it twice a day. I splash racked it to a carboy and put an airlock on it just to see what would happen if I took it off the stuff that is floating. The airlock was bubbling about once every minute or so, but has all but stopped now four hours later. I suspect CO2? Is the stuff floating what you call pulp cap?
I should have some yeast energizer today, am thinking about racking back to primary and starting over one more time. Loren

If you are transferring don't lose your slurry. Energizer should help. For tough fruits I would reccommend Lalvin EC-1118 like Wade said. That works well tolerating alcohol. I'm presuming your keeping it warm (mid 70's)?

The yeast was working real well until I put in the first 1/4 cup of cranberry wine, it slowed down a lot but came back in about 15 minutes. Then put in the second 1/4 cup and it really slowed down. after about an hour it was coming back pretty good. Added a 1/2 cup of wine and it almost quit, after several hours it was not doing anything. I added it to the wine anyway. Nothing happening. I had removed the bag earier, and what fruit was left had been suspended, but this morning it was floating on top. Temp was at
78*. Bout ready to flush it down. Loren

Don't give up on it yet. I had a stuck fermentation on my blackberry wine. It took it weeks to get started. I babied it with nutrient, a starter, and still nothing. I just set it aside and left it. There were no obvious signs of activity, but I could see signs of pressure in my air lock. I never saw a bubble, but could see the air had moved in the s-shaped airlock tube. I didn't feel like messing with it, so I didn't even bother with an SG reading. Over the next two weeks, it slowly produced a bubble every now and then. This week, it came to life. Each day it became more vigorous, and yesterday it was bubbling like crazy. It's more than two months old, and just now starting to act like wine.

Juice and fruit are pricey, so it's painful to toss it out until all hope is lost.

Yes I am keeping it warm, mid seventies.
And thanks gesnipes for the encouragement, I read people talking about patience, unfortunately that it not one of my virtues, guess I'm gonna have to learn some. Loren

Yes I am keeping it warm, mid seventies.
And thanks gesnipes for the encouragement, I read people talking about patience, unfortunately that it not one of my virtues, guess I'm gonna have to learn some. Loren

Just keep busy making other wines. Before you know it it is time to bottle :h.

I got my yeast energizer today. Put some in and gave a good stir, two hours later I have a bubble in the airlock about every ten seconds, not a lot but hey, thats progress. Heres hoping. Loren

Latest posts

Back