WineXpert Stuck fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Motomike

Reaction score
I think I have stuck fermentation in my WE Lodi II Cab. Primary fermentation started on 12-10 at 1.092 SG fermentation seemed very vigorous. Began secondary on 12-16 at 1.010 SG and fermentation slowed down considerably. Checked SG and it is at 1.000 but not very vigorous at all. I stirred 3 days ago with little or no additional results. Moved carboy from back basement (67 degrees) to a warmer room (70 degrees) and fermentation is slower still. What do I do? Is this stuck fermentation or perhaps I have made a rookie mistake or am I just an overanxious parent?

If you read 1.000 and you are getting slow bubbles, it is about done, not stuck. Check the SG again and wait a week and check again. If it hasn't changed, check the next day again. If it still hasn't moved it is done so do the last steps. Also you may find it has lowered a little more. You will be fine either way.

I'm sure others will chime in, but at 1.000 you are just about done fermenting. you may get down to 0.995 or so, but I've had kits finish right around 1.000. Also, if you just transferred on 12/16, sounds like you still have a couple weeks to go for secondary ferm. It wil probably come down slowly below 1.000 over that time period.

Sounds like you are right on track. Remember, patience is a virtue...especially in Winemaking!

Enjoy!

I've got that kit bulk aging now. Final SG was .995. I don't think it
is done at 1.0. If you are still getting bubbles and the must is at 70,
why not let it go for a while and check SG every few days? That yeast
is still working.

SG went down to .996! I de-gassed and clairified on Christmas day. Will bulk age for about 6 months unless anyone suggests differently. Patiance is truly the virtue regarding this one, I was just an overanxious parent.

When its done clearing rack off the lees and add the extra 1/4 tsp of k-meta if you are going to bulk age. Glad it made it down there.

Glad to hear it finished for you. Give it about 2 months and check the bottom of that carboy. You may want to rack it again and follow the Wade instruction w/the K-meta.

Would you recommend racking to a 5 gal. carboy? It is currently in a 6 gal. What are your thoughts on topping off with a similar wine or trying to remain "pure" and racking to the 5 gal. carboy to allow the true characteristics of the kit cab. to come out.

How much headspace do you have in the carboy. If not much and the lees are compact you would only need about a bottle for topping up. You could buy a similar red to remain true. If you have a ton of headspace you could rack to a five. You could also add marbles if you don't see a lot of headspace.

When I racked my Pinot I topped off and it took 1 1/2 bottles. It seems like there are less lees with the cab. I'll wait until I rack the cab to determine, Thanks for the idea with the marbles, that seems like a good alternatitive.

Just curious, I have the WE Black Raspberry Merlot in the primary and the fermentation seems to have slowed a bit quicker than the other two kits I've started. Its still fermenting, but seems to be less vigorous at this stage than the others. Temp conditions are the same as the other kits and SG is fine.Is this because its a sweeter wine? Is it normal? Edited by: myway22

It is most likely because the Starting SG is much lower so it will be done faster then the others as this is a lower alc wine.

Latest posts

Back