stuck ferment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckb

Junior
Reaction score
started a batch of peach wine using Red Star premier classic yeast. Starting SG was 1120 after 2 weeks it appears to be stuck at 1050. Is this all it can do or should I restart? also the temp has been 100-110 around here,but wine is in garage so probably only upper 90,s.

That seems really high for an S.G., maybe the yeast generated all the alcohol it could and gave it up. Not sure if it can be restarted but a yeast like EC-1118 might be the best option. If not better stabilize it to prevent spoilage.

I agree with Ohio Bob, the SG seems high. If that's what you're going for, in the future it might be safer to step feed.

I know Red Star can handle higher temps but around 100F most yeast start dying. Ambient garage temp in the upper 90's PLUS yeast will heat up the must as they work. Who knows what temp was reached.

You're around 9% ABV which I think is just barely enough for protection. Again, like Ohio Bob, I would be concerned.

it can be restarted. build a yeast starter with EC1118 add one cup of stuck wine to starter. once foaming well add two cups, once foaming well ,add 4 cups continue in this manner doubling the addition of the stuck wine until all is fermenting.

it can be restarted. build a yeast starter with EC1118 add one cup of stuck wine to starter. once foaming well add two cups, once foaming well ,add 4 cups continue in this manner doubling the addition of the stuck wine until all is fermenting.
yes this is a perfect way to do it. Add more yeast nutrient. Find one that contains B vitamins.

I had a stuck/slow fermentation of some persimmon wine (originally used KV1116) that I appear to have successfully restarted just yesterday with EC1118. I did what the other posters suggested but took a shortcut in that I started with a cup or so of water, added GoFerm, tsp sugar, 1/4 tsp yeast nutrient, and then threw in the EC1118 (I used two packets). I also added Fermaid-O to the must. I gently poured the EC1118 mix in after 20 minutes or so when it was close to foaming out of the container it was in and it has taken off (I was also in the 1.050 range and had started around 1.120). Yeah, that garage is pretty hot for the yeast!!

Back