Stuck at secondary fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
5 gallon
3 gallon
1 gallon
3/4 gallon. These were a treasure to find
1/2 gallon
And of course all the differant bottle sizes
All full then use in future rackings to top up the main larger carboy of each batch.

So I have equipment to rack to and I have about a 1 inch pile of Lees on the bottom. I want to just rack it and see if fermentation restarts or if it’s really done. If so then perhaps I will sweeten or maybe just bottle it. However given the warnings about oxygen I am tempted to just throw it out and start again, but I hate to give up. Let me know what you guys think the next step should be or if you agree with what I want to do? Or should I just pitch the lot and try something simpler because this has gotten out of my control and experience?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 12
I wouldn’t restart fermentation because at 0.999 there isn’t much sugar there to ferment. Was there any sediment in your sample when did the SG reading? We made a grapefruit wine right after Christmas and I strained the sample through a coffee filter to get a more accurate SG reading.
If this were my wine I would be sure it is topped up, use an airlock and wait 5-7 days and recheck.
If you plan on back sweetening the 0.999 isn’t a bad deal.. you will want to stabilize before bottling but at a week old I would think you are not near that at present.
I had made another post, and I was looking for some feedback. It is at the end of the thread. I did pick up K meta but I haven’t done anything yet. Im reading.

So I have equipment to rack to and I have about a 1 inch pile of Lees on the bottom. I want to just rack it and see if fermentation restarts or if it’s really done. If so then perhaps I will sweeten or maybe just bottle it. However given the warnings about oxygen I am tempted to just throw it out and start again, but I hate to give up. Let me know what you guys think the next step should be or if you agree with what I want to do? Or should I just pitch the lot and try something simpler because this has gotten out of my control and experience?

I wouldn’t give up yet. I would rack it to a smaller carboy Or top it up with a similar wine ( this is controversial and a personal opinion but a similar wine would be pretty easy .. yes it may cause the flavor to change a little. So that decision is yours. I would buy some potassium metabisulfite (k-meta) and dose it with a 1/4 tsp when it is racked. I would also put an airlock on it. In case it does still ferment a little. Be sure to put some form of a liquid in the airlock. Again this is a personal preference. I have used vodka, plain water, and a solution of k-meta all with equally good results. It is no where near ready to bottle or sweeten at this point.

When I first started making wine, I did some cheaper kits to get the hang of it. I read a lot of information. And asked a lot of questions. The good thing about the kits is all the additives are in them. I also recommend sticking with the kit instructions and not trying to increase the ABV % until you have a better handle on the process. Kits can be quick drinkers too. Like a wine expert island mist. So you get some faster gratification

Hang in there. It’s hard in the beginning. But keep at it. It is a very rewarding hobby.

Cheers

I wouldn't throw it out. I'd rack it to a smaller carboy and add kmeta (usually 1/4 tsp for six gallons). Give it some time to clear. Taste it and see what you think - maybe it's sweet enough.

If you decide to sweeten further, you need to add potassium sorbate prior to doing so.

If you decide to rack be sure to leave the lees on the bottom and not rack them into your wine. Your wine needs some time to age. If you bottle now, the bottles will most likely end up with lees in the bottom of them as the wine will continue to drop out lees for a while.

I wouldn’t give up yet. I would rack it to a smaller carboy Or top it up with a similar wine ( this is controversial and a personal opinion but a similar wine would be pretty easy .. yes it may cause the flavor to change a little. So that decision is yours. I would buy some potassium metabisulfite (k-meta) and dose it with a 1/4 tsp when it is racked. I would also put an airlock on it. In case it does still ferment a little. Be sure to put some form of a liquid in the airlock. Again this is a personal preference. I have used vodka, plain water, and a solution of k-meta all with equally good results. It is no where near ready to bottle or sweeten at this point.

When I first started making wine, I did some cheaper kits to get the hang of it. I read a lot of information. And asked a lot of questions. The good thing about the kits is all the additives are in them. I also recommend sticking with the kit instructions and not trying to increase the ABV % until you have a better handle on the process. Kits can be quick drinkers too. Like a wine expert island mist. So you get some faster gratification

Hang in there. It’s hard in the beginning. But keep at it. It is a very rewarding hobby.

Cheers
Thanks! Im not looking for a quick drinker myself, I’m enjoying the process, im in it for the education. Im going to keep working with it, im going to rack into smaller car boys with some k meta and see what happens!

How do you feel about topping up with something like grapefruit juice after secondary fermentation has started?

I wouldn't throw it out. I'd rack it to a smaller carboy and add kmeta (usually 1/4 tsp for six gallons). Give it some time to clear. Taste it and see what you think - maybe it's sweet enough.

If you decide to sweeten further, you need to add potassium sorbate prior to doing so.
That’s good info, I will read up on it. Im going to rack to smaller Carboy

I put almost a gallon of water extra into this disaster sooooo, probably gonna need some sweetening. Its alright though it’s my first batch. If it doesn’t melt the glass or kill me im happy

Thanks! Im not looking for a quick drinker myself, I’m enjoying the process, im in it for the education. Im going to keep working with it, im going to rack into smaller car boys with some k meta and see what happens!

How do you feel about topping up with something like grapefruit juice after secondary fermentation has started?

First a little background on fermentation. Forgive me if you know this info.. I just want to be sure we are on the same page.
Primary fermentation is when you first pitch yeast and it starts eating the sugar in your juice to make alcohol. The more sugar you have in the juice/must the more alcohol will be produced by your yeast and carbon dioxide is released. Primary fermentation can be vigorous and noticeable and the must is stirred a couple times a day to get some oxygen to the yeast. During primary fermentation the must/juice is usually in an open container like a bucket. A cheese cloth covering is oftentimes used to protect the must from things that might fall into it. Insects ... etc. During primary you can check progress of the sugar conversion using your hydrometer. As the reading nears 1.010 it is time to move to a carboy. You are now in secondary fermentation when you rack to a carboy. Secondary fermentation is a term to describe where you are in the transferring process. Out of a bucket and into a carboy. Some kits may tell you to transfer at a specific gravity of 1.020. So it varies. Since most of the sugar has been depleted by the yeast.. less carbon dioxide will be produced. Putting an airlock on the carboy will allow a trapping some of the carbon dioxide in the neck of the carboy but not too much that you get an explosion. The air lock allows most CO2 to escape. As the sugar is used up and alcohol increases yeast will die and fall to bottom of carboy. Racking at intervals gets your wine off the lees and helps prevent off flavors in your finished wine. At some point fermentation will stop around 0.998 or less. . But .... if you add back any form of sugar and here are still some viable yeast .. you could cause fermentation to start back up. You are now in a carboy .. think I’d shaking a bottle of soda and then opening it. This explosive occurrence could occur and it’s not fun. Lol. It’s a mess. That’s why adding a similar dry wine for topping up is preferable.
I would only add juice or sugar after stabilizing with sorbate. But you are not ready for that. It’s too early.

Does this make sense to you? Keep me posted

DON'T bottle now or even in a month. Your wine needs time to age. Aging permits clearing, De-gassing and takes off the sharp edges of the wine giving it a far better taste.

If you learn nothing else in this you need to learn PATIENCE .

Rushing to bottle will not solve any problems with the wine and in fact will lock-in whatever issues the wine may have now.

DON'T bottle now or even in a month. Your wine needs time to age. Aging permits clearing, De-gassing and takes off the sharp edges of the wine giving it a far better taste.

If you learn nothing else in this you need to learn PATIENCE .

Rushing to bottle will not solve any problems with the wine and in fact will lock-in whatever issues the wine may have now.
Well I don’t want to do that then! I racked it into smaller jugs and I’m letting it sit in a slightly warmer room

First a little background on fermentation. Forgive me if you know this info.. I just want to be sure we are on the same page.
Primary fermentation is when you first pitch yeast and it starts eating the sugar in your juice to make alcohol. The more sugar you have in the juice/must the more alcohol will be produced by your yeast and carbon dioxide is released. Primary fermentation can be vigorous and noticeable and the must is stirred a couple times a day to get some oxygen to the yeast. During primary fermentation the must/juice is usually in an open container like a bucket. A cheese cloth covering is oftentimes used to protect the must from things that might fall into it. Insects ... etc. During primary you can check progress of the sugar conversion using your hydrometer. As the reading nears 1.010 it is time to move to a carboy. You are now in secondary fermentation when you rack to a carboy. Secondary fermentation is a term to describe where you are in the transferring process. Out of a bucket and into a carboy. Some kits may tell you to transfer at a specific gravity of 1.020. So it varies. Since most of the sugar has been depleted by the yeast.. less carbon dioxide will be produced. Putting an airlock on the carboy will allow a trapping some of the carbon dioxide in the neck of the carboy but not too much that you get an explosion. The air lock allows most CO2 to escape. As the sugar is used up and alcohol increases yeast will die and fall to bottom of carboy. Racking at intervals gets your wine off the lees and helps prevent off flavors in your finished wine. At some point fermentation will stop around 0.998 or less. . But .... if you add back any form of sugar and here are still some viable yeast .. you could cause fermentation to start back up. You are now in a carboy .. think I’d shaking a bottle of soda and then opening it. This explosive occurrence could occur and it’s not fun. Lol. It’s a mess. That’s why adding a similar dry wine for topping up is preferable.
I would only add juice or sugar after stabilizing with sorbate. But you are not ready for that. It’s too early.

Does this make sense to you? Keep me posted
Yes this makes a whole lot of sense. Thank you for taking the time to really explain your points. Trying to navigate my way through my first wines has been challenging. I got a lot of great advice here and I am glad I reached out and joined the forum. I racked into gallon jugs with air locks and I will let it sit and just dose it with potassium meta infrequently.

I have my Apple wine now, on primary with at least another week to go.

Yes this makes a whole lot of sense. Thank you for taking the time to really explain your points. Trying to navigate my way through my first wines has been challenging. I got a lot of great advice here and I am glad I reached out and joined the forum. I racked into gallon jugs with air locks and I will let it sit and just dose it with potassium meta infrequently.

I have my Apple wine now, on primary with at least another week to go.

You are doing great !! Apple wine will be fun to do! Sounds like the grapefruit is nicely put away for a little nap! [emoji4]

Best way to deal with the waiting.......

1) Start another batch of wine.
2) Go hunting at the recycling center for empty bottles. (Why pay good money for bottles when there are hundreds at the recycling centers and all sorts of shapes to chose from)
3) Clean those bottles, sort them etc.
4) Start designing your labels
5) Read up on other wine receipes
6) Read the stories on here, (Better to learn from other's mistakes than to make those same mistakes)
7) One more - read the labels on those bottles from the recycling center - great way to develop interesting descriptions for your wine when you give it to friends and family & you find out some interesting things about commercial wines too.

2) Go hunting at the recycling center for empty bottles. (Why pay good money for bottles when there are hundreds at the recycling centers and all sorts of shapes to chose from)
6) Read the stories on here, (Better to learn from other's mistakes than to make those same mistakes)
7) One more - read the labels on those bottles from the recycling center - great way to develop interesting descriptions for your wine when you give it to friends and family & you find out some interesting things about commercial wines too.

Wonderful ideas !!

I think I will go bottle hunting!!! Plus I have about 6 lbs of frozen repberries and I’m going to try my hand at an actual wine made from fruit this weekend! I just can’t get enough!

i really want to thank everyone who responded and helped me work my way through my hang up with some good knowledge! I have learned so much and this was a wonderful introduction. Im so glad I joined the message board!

i really want to thank everyone who responded and helped me work my way through my hang up with some good knowledge! I have learned so much and this was a wonderful introduction. Im so glad I joined the message board!

You are most welcome !! It’s such a fun process and very addicting. If I don’t have something fermenting I get itchy. Lol.

Back