Structural integrity of carboys

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Kantuckid

Reaction score
No ideas on the carboy trauma but on the deer problem here's what works for us: We have lots of them and live back in the woods on a private road. At the house they eat everything sometimes as there's not much they wont eat! We have a grid powered hot electric fence that they could easily jump over but honor it when plugged in for reasons I fail to understand?
At our large garden in a pasture away from everything they bed down in the tall summer vegetaition nearby yet the solar powered electric fence they honor when it's on, same thing I don't get as they can easily jump a fence under ~ 7' or so? Toward the end of the garden season, if I turn it off they go in almost immediately! One year I had some late green tomatoes and hoping for a late frost and absentmindedly left the fence off and all tomatoes gone the next day.
OTOH, I have split rail old fashioned fences along my road that they kick over the top rails all year long from lazy jumping I guess?
In countries that deliver water in carboys they are stored on trucks & wagons separately, never stacked. Actually a very strong piece of glass when you consider the stress of cork insertion on much thinner bottle necks?

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker
Reaction score
Vacuumn man I agree. I've had several wine in carboys aged at least 3 - 6 months and suddenly I checked one day to find wine in the airlock. Previously there was at least 1/2" to 3/4 headspace. Suddenly no foam nor bubbles just a change in volume ??? Never just one carboy usually 2-3 out of 4 carboys at a time. Weather changes always occurred at those times.

Group Builder