Strong Welch's Wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevs15

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I just sampled a little bit of my Welch's grape juice concentrate wine. It has been in the carboy since 1/12/12. WOW, it's strong! The SG is .990. Is there any way to tone this down? It's still has a fizzy taste to it as well.

Thanks for all your help!

Strong as in alcohol or what?

It is already finished fermenting at .990, if that is an accurate SG.
The fizziness is CO2, so you will need to degas it.

What was your starting SG? I would add more Welchs to it, This would give you more flavor, And cut the alcohol taste down some.

And also January 12 2012 is not enough time to even get a good taste.

Depending on what type of yeast you used, it likely is not as high in alcohol as it might taste this early. What yeast did you use?

I don't know how you are going to finish it, but if you intend on back sweetening (more grape juice?), that will dilute it some. Otherwise, if you want to keep it dry, you will have to add some water to it.

However, if it is still fizzy and young (1/12/12), it will be hard to analyze it for taste for a few more months, so don't get in any hurry. It might just finish out perfect or you.

Thanks for the info! I don't want a sweeter wine... I'm going for more dry. I'll just wait it out :)

The ABV for your wine should be close to 14.5%, which is not too bad.

Give it some time.

Latest posts

Back