strong smell from new batch of wine fermenting.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazoo20

Junior
Reaction score
I started a new batch of wine 4 days ago. I used the recipe I found on here using 5.5 gallons of pure wleches white grape juice, I followed the recipe and its got a strong smell to it right now. Its in a plastic fermenting right now with bung and its not horrible but its enough that when I come home and walk in the door I can really smell it , like someone cooked eggs for breakfast or something. I am wondering if there is a problem here ? My other batches used only a couple gallons of pure juice with water is the only difference I can say here. I have heard about the rotten egg smell with wine making. I can not say its horrible rotten egg smell but kinda like your cooking eggs. Wanted to get opinions on this?

Probably just fermenting. But If your s.g. is still pretty high, get some oxygen in it. Mite want to get rid of the bung til s.g. gets down to 1.010 or so. Put a clean towel over it so it can get some oxygen. Mite need a little yeast energizer or nutrient also. Good luck, Arne.

my starting SG on day 1 was 1.085. Today Day 4 SG is at 1.028. I took a sip from my tester and it seems if there is a early indication that making this from pure juice is going to be very good compared to samples from my old water down recipes I used sofar. It's probably fine I just thought the smell was stronger then i noticed on the other batches.

Some batches will produce more sulfur then others but to a limit its fine. What yeast did you use and what if any energizer or nutrient did you use?

Wade, I used Brewcraft nutrient and energizer. and I use Lalvin EC-1118 yeast.

I just started a similar recipe:

5 gallons Welches 100% White Grape Juice
6.5 lbs white sugar (or enough to get to 1.105)
1 tsp tannin
5 tsp yeast nutrient
5 tsp acid blend
4 tsp pectic enzyme
1 packet Lalvin K1V-1116

I pitched the yeast about 24 hours ago. It's been bubbling away and actually smells pretty good. It's next to a 1 gallon batch of apple wine so that adds to the nice smell. I'm hoping it stays that way.

I have the white grape batch inside a 6.5 gallon ale pail with the top covered with a few paper towels, wrapped down with some bungie cords, to let air in. Let's see if it stays smelling nice.

Have you been stirring the must during fermentation? How much nutrient and energizer did you use?

I haven't stirred yet since it's only been 24 hours. I probably will tomorrow and take a reader while I'm at it. I'm hoping since it's in a pail with a big opening (covered by paper towel), that it's getting a good amount of oxygen.

5 tsp nutrient. No energizer (don't have any).

I did a starter for the yeast though. 24 hours prior to pitching, I put about 1/4-1/2 cup warm water and 1/4 cup of the same juice, few teaspoons of sugar, and a pinch of dissolved nutrient into a jar covered with a tight paper towel. Within a few hours it was foamed up pretty high and bubbling.

Yea, I'll give it a whirl tomorrow. I'm always nervous to introduce the possibility of an infection. I'm still new at this so I'm learning as well...

Also don't want to spend time/supplies using my sanitizer to sanitize a stirrer. Would some rubbing alcohol work if I watered it off well before using?

I have never stirred either. I was under the impression I should not, what benefit do you feel you get from stirring it ? Thanks

Stirring in the primary allows O2 to aid the yeast in the production of alchohol. You don't have to worry about this once the SG gets low enough and you either snap a lid w/airlock on or transfer to a secondary container with an airlock.

It also prevents bacteria from growing on the cap that is pushed to the top of the primary.

If you sulphited the must prior to fermentation you will be alright.

Latest posts

Back