Strawberry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowbird

first timer
Reaction score
Have a off smell from the wine..What's the ideal temp. for strawberry? I have the thermostat set about 73 degrees. I'm wondering if it stop fermenting then when I put it in the secondary and started back. Smelled better after a day in the secondary.

Like said .. What does it smell like? Could be just the fermentation. Post the recipe and what you did so far.

It's very rare that I ever hear anyone speaking of making a wine made from strawberries. Although it's a common ingredient, most wine makers (ones made from home) use other types of berries: raspberries, blueberries, and grapes. Mostly grapes. From what I've been told, strawberries are often times hard to cook with. :p

i make strawberry wine almost every year. just takes more fruit than with the other berries due to having much higher water content.

I make 3-4 6gallon batches each year. Where did you hear that most winemakers do not use strawberries??
"From what I've been told, strawberries are often times hard to cook with." Why would you cook them for wine?

I can hardly wait (but will) to try my first batch of strawberry. Tasted really good at the last racking. I'll probably bottle in the next few days. I missed the Pungo Strawberry Festival this year so I guess my next batch will be from store bought frozen. Pungo in Virginia Beach is known for it's strawberry production.

The thing with strawberries is like said above that they are weak in flavor so any off smells or flavors will show up very easily. These smells will usually go away once fermentation is done but can sometimes take their time, just remember these are almost always there just masked by the more prevalent smells of stronger fruits. Strawberries will require more fruit per gallon to come out with lots of flavor compared to say raspberry.

MMMMMM the strawberry fest, I have only been once and loved it. But Northeastern NC is also known for its strawberries. I have some rocket fuel strawberry clearing now. It finished at about 16-17% abv, but I was looking for it to be high. It was my first fruit so I figured mess it up if I can and if I don't then I learned even more.

mxsteve, how close to pungo are you, I am just south of suffolk near Edenton but work in portsmouth until December, when I retire from the uscg.

• 6 lbs. Strawberries
• Sugar – (As needed to get to Starting SG below)
• Acid Blend – (As needed to get to Acid Reading below)
• 1 tsp. Wine Tannin
• 1/16 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite
• 1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
• 3/4 tsp. dry or 1/8 tsp. liquid Pectic Enzyme
• 1 pkg. Wine Yeast
• Potasium Sorbate (used when bottling if adding more sugar)

I believe it was just off flavors, kinda smelled a little rotten. Now it smells like weak strawberries, but better.

I used about 8lbs berries...

I'm probably going to use an f-pac or flavored sweetener before bottling so it's not so week. what ya think?

Oh yeah I meant to say,..now I'm used to the yeast fermenting smells but this was different. Like there was bad berries in it ..hope not!!:?

• 6 lbs. Strawberries
• Sugar – (As needed to get to Starting SG below)
• Acid Blend – (As needed to get to Acid Reading below)
• 1 tsp. Wine Tannin
• 1/16 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite
• 1 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
• 3/4 tsp. dry or 1/8 tsp. liquid Pectic Enzyme
• 1 pkg. Wine Yeast
• Potasium Sorbate (used when bottling if adding more sugar)

I believe it was just off flavors, kinda smelled a little rotten. Now it smells like weak strawberries, but better.

I used about 8lbs berries...

I'm probably going to use an f-pac or flavored sweetener before bottling so it's not so week. what ya think?

This one was from my new bud winemaker 3352...:se

PW,

You must be at the coast guard base in portsmouth. I live in Chesapeake where the chesapeake, Norfolk and virginia Beach city lines connect. Indian River Point section.

Steve

Yeah - mine had an off smell at first - but after about 2 months - it is smelling alot better.

And i did and an f-pac after i racked the first time.

Latest posts

Back