Strawberry Wine Straining Quandry

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pinkanator

Junior
Reaction score
Making a batch of strawberry wine and been looking for recipes. Some of the most common differences is some boil prior to primary, some don't, some puree, some mash, some just cut up in quarters.
But what I'm most curious about is weather or not to use a straining bag. I understand the clean up would be easier, but what else am I not noticing or thinking about?

This is not a trick question, I'm asking for opinions and help!

I leaning toward NOT using a straining bag...

Freeze the fruit and use a strainer bag, but when I did a strawberry DB, the fruit pulp was pretty much broken down to nothing from the pectic enzyme anyway, but it really helped with the seeds.

What about pureeing the strawberries after freezing it, but before going into the primary?

It's always a good idea to use a bag so that you control the seeds. You don't want seeds getting over and aging on the wine in the secondary.

If you are freezing them beforehand, there is no need to puree them because they will be very mushy and easily broken down the rest of the way with pectic enzyme.

Thanks for yalls help, I quartered them all and froze 3/4 of them, and placed them in a straining bag. Unfortunately I am doing a recipe that called for 25lbs of strawberries, and the only bag I could find that fit that type of weight/volume was not very fine, so a lot of seeds got out. I will have to hope they sink and rack it, and if not filter it.

Thank you again for your help!

I really like the paint strainer bags that you can buy at Lowes. They are cheap and you get 2 in a pkg. If you have too much fruit to fit in 1 you can divide it between the 2.
MaryLou

Latest posts

Back