Strange Weather Statement

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grapeman

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It smells of smoke this morning everywhere. We have burning bans in the area, so I was grumbling wondering what neighbor is polluting again. It seems it is our neighbor to the north- Quebec.

onmousedown=setClick(); href=
<DIV ="er alWatch">
<H1>Special Weather Statement for Eastern Clinton, NY</H1>
Issued by The National Weather Service
Burlington, VT
7:08 am EDT, Mon., May. 31, 2010
... SMOKE FROM QUEBEC FOREST FIRES OVER THE REGION TODAY...
SMOKE FROM FOREST FIRES IN CENTRAL QUEBEC HAS WORKED SOUTH OVER THE NORTH COUNTRY THIS MORNING. THIS IS CAUSING HAZY SKIES WITH REDUCED VISIBILITIES ACROSS THE REGION. A TEMPERATURE INVERSION THIS MORNING IS HELPING TO KEEP SMOKE OVER THE AREA. LIGHT WINDS OVER THE REGION THIS MORNING WILL SLOWLY BECOME SOUTHERLY BY THIS AFTERNOON. THIS WIND SHIFT WILL HELP TO PUSH THE SMOKE BACK NORTH INTO QUEBEC.
PERSONS WITH RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS SHOULD LIMIT THEIR OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES AND TAKE PRECAUTIONS OR REMAIN INDOORS.

<DIV ="er alWatch">
<DIV ="er alWatch">
<DIV ="er alWatch">It should be interesting trying to get anything done outside today...............
<DIV ="er alWatch">
<DIV ="er alWatch">

Gonna wear your

20100531_094700_fullface.jpg

in the vineyard today?

Hope it doesnt affect you too much over there Rich, maybe you can hang some meat out and smoke it. Hehehe

reminds me of when I lived in BC. The US Forest people were letting some fires burn because (a) it's nature's renewal, and (b)almost noAmerican citizens were affected. The Canadian gov't asked for permission to put the fires out because of the Canadians endangered by the fires. I thought it was kinda funny because the loudest complainers that I heard were some Americans who weren't enjoying the smoke at their Canadian cottages.

Oh well, I guess the winds blow both ways.

Steve

Thats right Steve. The winds blow each way- and I'm hoping they reverse direction soon because with the yearly great pine pollen yellow clouds, it is an asthma sufferer's worst nightmare. I'm going slow today and doing a lot of coughing and wheezing.

Well we are in the middle of a heavy down pour right now. First rain in weeks, just didn't want it this quick and hard. The good news is thw lawns and crops are getting watered and the pollen is getting knocked down. I also suffer from allergies from tree pollen.

Hey Waldo, that is self induced smog alert weather! Hard to quit to be free of it. I guess it is a personal thing and evryone has to weigh the risks. I have a cousing that is about 70 something that was a heavy smoker all her life and has emphazima (sp?) and has been bad for a few years now, but is still kicking. My Dad was a smoker for 20 years and then quit when he was 40 something and died at 55 of a heart attack. So I guess everybody has to do what they enjoy and weigh the risks. I have never smoked and it is a good thing since I have had breathing problems all my life and am alergic to everything under the sun- even a lot of medecines. I was handling simple lates rubber ties this afternoon and now my hands will burn for hours- latex allergies. Went to the doc last week for kidney stones (urologist) and he grabbed a pair of latex gloves. Hey doc, I said, would you mind grabbing a pair of those vinyl gloves instead. Why he asked. Well I said, the latex gloves stuck up me for an exam would leave me burning for hours- he looks at my chart and says- Yup,it says you have latex allergies right here on the chart- duh.

Well that turned into a bit of a ramble, but the point is?.Oh heck there is no point
smiley36.gif

we saw and smelled the smoke all the way down here in southern new hampshire as well

We got our own problems. Started yesterday so you know it was some
smiley35.gif
who didn't smother his campfire over the holiday weekend.......

Someday there will be no trees in the forest left to burn......

Please note the following update from Emergency Management:

The Rio Fire in the Jemez Mountains near Fenton Lake currently is between 700 and 1,000 acres, having experienced intense activity overnight. Firefighting efforts continue and include 187 responders from multiple agencies. Employees and Los Alamos residents may see smoke throughout the day, with the most intense fire activity expected to take place this afternoon between 1 and 2 p.m.

With regard to Laboratory property in the area, the western flank of Technical Area 57 (Fenton Hill) is being protected with defensible space activities, including walkthroughs at facilities this morning to remove any potentially hazardous materials.

All Lab employees should be alert to any health issues they have that may be affected by the smoke. Individuals who experience shortness of breath, chest tightness, chest pain, palpitations or unusual fatigue, should contact their health-care provider. Those who have heart or lung diseases also should make sure to have adequate medication on hand, and those with asthma should follow their asthma-management plan.

To reduce exposure to the smoke, consider the following:

• Keep windows and doors closed when particulate matter concentrations are high.
• If available, use air conditioning. Note: The New Mexico Environment Department recommends against using evaporative “swamp” coolers, since they pull smoke into a building.
• Reduce indoor sources of particulate matter (e.g. smoking, cooking, vacuuming, etc.).
• Avoid physical exertion, indoors or outdoors, when particulate matter concentrations are high.

For more on the Rio Fire, go to the New Mexico Fire Information site at http://nmfireinfo.wordpress.com/.

Back