Straining Bags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smurfe

Reaction score
I was wondering about straining bags. Do you all use "official" straining bags or do you improvise, like using pantyhose or stockings? If you use the regular bags, do you clean them and reuse them? If so, how the heck do you get them clean?

I used one here a while back to strain a Crushendo kit as shown on the forums here. I tried to clean the bag, but after a half hour of trying to get all of the bits of gunk out of the bag, I tossed it. I was just wondering what all of you do?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Good question I will be making my first fruit wine shortly and could use that info as well...

I use the straining bags and yes they are hard to clean. I turn them
inside out and use a scrub brush to get all the patricles of fruit out.
They will stain but Im not worried about that. I've seen posts quite
awhile back where I believe they used oxyclean to get them white. I
just get all the fruit out and soak it in mte after the fruit is out
and before I start a new batch.

Cleaning the nylon bags is quite a chore and I use C-Brite and lots of waterwhile turning inside out and back again along with shaking outside the remove the solids.

Disposable muslin bags are fairly inexpensive and I use then for steeping grains when brewing beer.

After rinsing the straining bags out(turned inside out first) I put them through a small wash load with just a little bleach. I do this with the apple pulp straining bags also(for apple cider press). It gets them about as clean as can be expected- sometimes they look almost new.

I have never used straining bags but I have seen on other sites that some use strainer bags that are used to strain paint, from the paint departmentbecause they claim they are cheap.

What did I learn that I didn't know before? 1)People strain their paint. 2)Paint straining bags are suppose to be cheaper.
JC

bmorosco said:
Good question I will be making my first fruit wine shortly and could use that info as well...

Just in time for my raspberry wine. Thanks for the question and answers.

Now I know everything
smiley36.gif

I use fine straining bags. I rinse, turn them inside out, rinse some more, then just throw them in the washing machine with a load of whites. The friction with clothes takes out any pulp that might be left in them. They work great!

I guess I can sneak it in on the next load, maybe the wife wont notice!

Well, actually . . . . . yes, I've used panty hose. Only I used a pair of knee-high hose. The first time I used them, I put two pounds of blackberries in each one. Please learn from one of my mistakes: it is much easier to put the fruit in the hose if the fruit is FROZEN
smiley36.gif
. You can actually get quite a bit more fruit in one than two pounds, but I really wanted to mush it up thoroughly and let it have lots more surface contact with the fluids it was floating in. I've also used them for seeded grapes - really worked well. Because the top of the hose is so small, I put the fruit in a really tall plastic container, pull the hose down over it and then just flip it upside down and empty the fruit into the hose. Tie a knot in the top and that's it. I set the hose back in the container to let the fruit thaw out and then its ready to go.

Shucks I use regular panty hose and fill each leg with fruit, etc , tie it off at the waist and use the same pair to do two batches at once. One leg in onefermenter and the other leg in the other fermenter.
smiley36.gif
Edited by: Waldo

Waldo said:
Shucks I use regular panty hose and fill each leg with fruit, etc , tie it off at the waist and use the same pair to do two batches at once. One leg in onefermenter and the other leg in the other fermenter.
smiley36.gif

That is great!!! Ha ha I am just picturing what that looks like!!
smiley36.gif

Now this is a real education.

smiley29.gif
Mostly about the type of people that post to this website
smiley29.gif

The real trick is after you use them to wash them and see if your wife notices....haha
smiley36.gif

bmorosco said:
The real trick is after you use them to wash them and see if your wife notices....haha
smiley36.gif

The old blue leg syndrome.

Im so glad this subject came up actually. I had no idea that cleaning a straining bag involved more than just rinsing. Ill go with the hand scrubbing and then into a load of whites.Edited by: scotty

For those of you that wash them in the washer, do you use regular laundry detergent? I would think that would leave an odor of detergent in them.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

smurfe said:
For those of you that wash them in the washer, do you use regular laundry detergent? I would think that would leave an odor of detergent in them.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

I use the nylon paint strainer bags available from paint stores. They last for years with minimal care. They are very durable andlittle need to worry about bursting open during aggressive pressing.

Cleaning is a snap. Dump leavings inthe compost. Flip the bag inside-out, rinse well and toss into the washing machine withthe regular laundry. Yes the bag has a clean laundry smell of detergent.

When you next use the strain bag, simply give it a good rinse in your Chloro-Clean wash bucket. Rinse several times withtap waterand then dip or thoroughly mist spray with a sulphite solution to double disinfect it.

I prefer the paint strainer bags because of the durability and the larger open weave of the material foreasier juiceflow. Take no offence gals, but I'm not partial to drinking my vino that has been strained through my wifes panty hose!!!Edited by: Stvr

Smurfe
I try to use unscented detergent since most of the frangrances really bother me. I hang it up to dry and any remaining smells dissipate before the next use. Like Stvr says rinse it in sulphite before the next use and you are good to go.

Back