strainer bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
I just racked Martina's pumpkin wine from primary to secondary. Boy talk about sediment.

Anywho, can you reuse the strainer bags? If so, does anyone have a special cleaning tip, or do we just trash??

Tks--d

DJ,

The bags are reuseable. I usually turn them inside-out and get as much stuff out under running water as I can. After that I usually soak mine in Easy clean for a few hours and rinse again, then hang to dry. On next use, I sanitize and use again. The color is no longer bright white though
smiley36.gif

DJ,

Forgot to mention, I've heard of people soaking their bags in ableach water (1tbl per gallon)to remove the stains, but I was always afraid of not being able to get all the bleach out and imparting a bleach flavor to the must.

I clean mine up best I can and then throw it in the washer to get the little stuff out. Works good for me.

D,

I have gone to using 5 gallon paint straining bags and at a little more than a buck apiece I just toss 'em with the solids.

Mine is now a nice bright pink from the raspberries. I just turned it inside out, cleaned it well with Easy Clean and let it air dry and am storing in my "wine making making tub" with my chemicals, corks and foils. I'll wash and sanitize it again before starting my next batch with it, probably a blueberry, I can just guess at the colors it will turn later. I will probably toss it after that one and star using the paint straining bags likeCurt then though. I just know I'm going to be making more and more and more fruit wines.

SteveEdited by: Brandst

Curt said:
I have gone to using 5 gallon paint straining bags.

paint straining bags? I've never heard of such a thing. Home Depot?

I noticed that the straining bags in George's catalog are rated either coarse or fine. Can someone tell me the difference (besides the obvious). Would you choose coarse or fine depending on the fruit you're working with?

What about the paint bags? Do those come in coarse / fine as well?

What material is used for the straining bags in the catalog? How about the paint bags?

Finally... are there any other options? I thought I read somewhere that people use nylon stockings.

Thanks all.

Having just used a strainer bag for my peaches, I'd go with Geoege's fine ones. It worked really well. (I didn't even know you could strain paint!!) =)

Yep, buy a pair of pantyhose, put one leg inside the other and cut them at the same time to length. That should work.

Joan said:
Yep, buy a pair of pantyhose, put one leg inside the other and cut them at the same time to length. That should work.

Ok, but... do I have to post pictures?
smiley17.gif

Do they still sell pantyhose? I can't see myself walking into the store, setting a container of nylons on the counter, while a young female cashiersnickers at me. It's kind of similar to being sent to the store to buy feminine "products." I'll stick with my standard-issue nylon bags sold at your local HBS and soak them in my sink full of chlorine and water to restore them totheiroriginal color and condition. Edited by: dfwwino

djcoop said:
I just racked Martina's pumpkin wine from primary to secondary. Boy talk about sediment.

Anywho, can you reuse the strainer bags? If so, does anyone have a special cleaning tip, or do we just trash??

Tks--d

Hey DJ....Does Martina know that you are messing around with her wines ????
smiley36.gif

Back