Storing Wine: Upside Down or Flat

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John I think we discussed this before. The circumstance of the wine surface when standing up is about the size of a dime limiting the ratio of wine to air contact. Laying down a bottle or upside down increases the surface air to wine amount.

I don't know if all in all it makes a big difference but italy.

John I think we discussed this before. The circumstance of the wine surface when standing up is about the size of a dime limiting the ratio of wine to air contact. Laying down a bottle or upside down increases the surface air to wine amount.

I don't know if all in all it makes a big difference but italy.

I understand that, however, I have two questions for you.

1) I believe that he was talking about Upside-down or on the bottles sides. In either case I am thinking that the surface area would not be much different. Standing upright is only ok for synthetic corks or screwcaps.

2) I am wondering if the surface area matters in this case. Unlike a barrel, the bottle is corked and almost a perfect seal. if there is a small, finite amount of air, then would the surface area matter in the long run? Never really put much tough into this one. Just wondering.

Back