Stop to ask.. "Am I doing the right thing"?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I followed the exact recipe, but added a twist. Perhaps too much for my first attempt..

I followed the recipe exactly through fermentation.

Once fermentation is complete (and SG below 1.0) I immediately added the back sweetening sugar WITHOUT adding k-meta or sorbate.

Both the skeeter pee and and sugar went into a corelious keg and were sealed. I waited 1 hour for the yeast to get active again, then purged the air inside the keg.

I am now aging the pee. I plan to crack the keg in the spring once the weather warms up. Last time I checked, the pressure was up to 34 PSI (which is what I expect).

What I hope to end up with is a well carbonated hard lemonade. I plan on rcking the corney keg (under pressure) in about 2 months.

What do you folks think? Any concerns or sugestions?

One thing you'll want to consider is that Skeeter Pee is VERY tart. I can't really enjoy it unless some sweetening has been added to balance out the acid. I presume your finished product will be dry or when you rack under pressure, can you add meta/sorbate/sugar at that time?

I would say that Lon is righ in the fact that you will want this on the sweeter side even thugh carbonating seems to bring out some sweetness it may not be enough. I would personally stabilize it and then sweeten it and then force carb or you wait till its been carbonated really good and make up a sweetened stabilizer to add to it when very very cold so as not to lose much carbonation.

psi

So I followed the exact recipe, but added a twist. Perhaps too much for my first attempt..

I followed the recipe exactly through fermentation.

Once fermentation is complete (and SG below 1.0) I immediately added the back sweetening sugar WITHOUT adding k-meta or sorbate.

Both the skeeter pee and and sugar went into a corelious keg and were sealed. I waited 1 hour for the yeast to get active again, then purged the air inside the keg.

I am now aging the pee. I plan to crack the keg in the spring once the weather warms up. Last time I checked, the pressure was up to 34 PSI (which is what I expect).

What I hope to end up with is a well carbonated hard lemonade. I plan on rcking the corney keg (under pressure) in about 2 months.

What do you folks think? Any concerns or sugestions?
John how high do you expect the pressure to rise?

I waited untill the pee stopped fermenting. The yeast was still alive. I then added the required sugar to back sweeten and then immediatly placed into a sealed corney keg to trap pressure. At 35 psi. The yeast should die, but only a small amount of sugar will be cosumed. I think that the pee will still be sweet.

Latest posts

Back