Stirring questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushdaley

Junior
Reaction score
making my first batch with neighbors Concord grapes. Should I stir at the same time I punch down the cap? I have a “mixstirrer”
Will stirring oxidize the wine?
How vigorously should I stir?

I probably shouldn't be responding to this because I'm new to this but based on what I've read, this is my understanding.

During primary fermentation, you want to introduce oxygen for the yeast to grow. In addition, because fermentation releases CO2, it will push out the air above your wine since CO2 is heavier.... so no need to worry about oxidation.

Based on what I'm seeing with my Pinot Grigio, I don't see how the wine would get oxidized during primary fermentation. Mine's bubbling so much, I'm thinking the 7.9 gal bucket isn't big enough for the 6 gallon batch... well, it's big enough, but it's cutting it close.

No problem stirring in primary. Delestage is a term used by the french when they rack the wine and than pour it again in the same level during the Alcoholic Fermentation. They believe this lights up the fruity aromas of the wine. Some do a so called pump over in order for the wine to come from the bottom and aerate + it pushes the cap down.

Personally, I first sink the cap then I stir giving the stick that I use an angle so it gets wine from the bottom to the top.

Back