still haveing trouble with my pineapple

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris400

Reaction score
hey guys i have made a pineapple wine from 5 gallon of 100% pineapple juice(this is were i think i made mistake #1 i just used all juice) it had been in secondary for about 2 months and i still have a off taste in it that i cant place what it is. thw starting sg was 1.100 and ending sg was at .994 so i know its strong abv. it does not have the rotten egg smell to it but it may be high in so2 im not sure as i dont have the equipment for that test..............i also made this by the dragons blood recipe if that helps.....it has been racked off a couple times and has nothing settleing out much but it is a bit cloudy if anyone needs more info ill be glad to try to help if i can

thanks
Chris

I've made a few pineapple batches and they all smell horrible. I think it's the nature of the fruit. Let it age and it gets a little better. BTW, mine tasts a lot better than it smells. Arne's suggestion should help.

OK I did what arne said and it did get a little better still strong on the alcohol though...so what did ares test tell me

Not knowing everything you did makes it difficult to answer. Pectic enzyme will help to break down the cell structure of the fruit prior to fermentation and clearing happens faster afterwards.

How often you stirred your must during fermentation is important to get rid of unwanted odors along with CO2

You say it's in a secondary. If it's thru get it racked and cleared. May need degassed good.

I've made pineapple from fruit and it was excellent. Yours should be good dispute high ABV

Making wine from pineapple sounds so good. When finished, smells like pineapple and has a great pineapple after taste. However, pineapple is a very astringent wine and that is what you are picking up in the wine. As my most favorite fruit, I was really looking forward to the finished product. I only like dry wines and the pineapple wine never met that criteria. I really looked forward to finishing the last of the 30 bottle batch. If you backsweeten I'm sure it will become much more palatable.

Pineapple is a wine that you can use less than normal poundage. Usually fruit wines require 5 pounds per gallon. Pineapple can be 3 pounds and still be great tasting.

All wines in my opinion if fermented dry benefit when back sweetened a bit. Even my Syrah's, Merlot's, Cab. Sauv's/Franc are sweetened to @.997-.998. Pineapple could be 1.000-1.005 depending how acidic it is and what you like.

Let it age after clear. Back sweeten in. 6-8 months. You will enjoy it I'm sure.

Back