Sticker Shock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g8keeper

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
was doing some straightening up yesterday of some of my recently used equipment yesterday, putting away some empty carboys and such, and just happened to look at the old price tag on one of my old 5 gallon carboy boxes....when i bought my equipment about 7 years ago, 5 gallon MEXICAN carboys were going for 17.50 brand new at my lhbs....amazing how much they've gone up since then....lol....

Checked the price of fuel lately?

roflmao....yeah.....of course....how could i not....believe, i know the cost of everything has gone up....was just crazy though when i saw the price tag on that box....lol....then again, come to think of it, my first WE VR kit, only cost me around 35 bucks....lol....now even those are going for closer to 60....lol....was just a shock after being out of the hobby for a few years, and remembering how much i used to pay for my supplies....

fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:hugA FEW YEARS A GO IN MEXICO AT THE MAJOR PRODUCER OF GLASS CARBOYS THEY HAD A FIRE THAT DESTROYED THE PLANT,THAT LEFT ONLY THE ITALIANS TO MAKE VESSELS,SO THE COST HAS RISEN:mny

Doesn't anyone believe that inflation is only 2%, the gov't says so!

IIRC most of them are now.

either china or italy....and if it is true about the fire that destroyed the mexican facility, and therefore cutting back the number of producers, it reminds me of 2 other similar incidences which caused a major increase in item prices....years ago, one of the factories in japan that produced computer memory chips, had been destroyed in an accident, and therefore ram chips skyrocketed....also a number of years ago, certain factors destroyed the hop crops, and the price jumped as well as causing an inavailability of many numerous varieties of certain hops....

Yeah, I'm always wondering about those government inflation rate numbers. They must be using "selective" math. The things I use on a regular basis have all gone up significantly (including things like property tax, school levies, garbage disposal, water & sewer, electricity). We've cut back on the number of consumables we use to keep above water. Wages are definitely not going up as fast as expenses in my case. I take good care of all my wine making equipment so that I limit replacement costs.

Latest posts

Back