Steamer Update

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eland

Reaction score
It seems the man in the brown truck paid me a visit while I was at work today. My steamer FINALLY arrived. Nothing like a shiny, brand new toy. I believe I'm really going to like it. Next up pear wine, or apple or cranberry......so many choices
smiley1.gif

GREAT a new wine making toy...
smiley32.gif
......I think you are going to love it....I know I really like mine.... Now what to make????
smiley24.gif

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

You can't miss with any of them................. You will love it...

Bert said:
GREAT a new wine making toy...
smiley32.gif
......I think you are going to love it....I know I really like mine.... Now what to make????
smiley24.gif

Agreed! I love my steamer and mine's just a cheap ebay special aluminum one.
smiley1.gif

One of the best winemaking items I have ever bought! Enjoy!!!!

Waldo said:
What are you going to break it in with Eland?

Waldo,

I believe I'm going to do a 6 gallon batch of pear first. After I get it to secondary, I'm going to do a 3 gallon batch of strawberry as an early drinker since my family is leaning on me pretty hard for some homemade wine.

Eland this doesn't use the steamer, but if you want an early drinker for the family, buy a Mosti Vinifera Noble Kit. There is a large selection and they are good young and get even better with a bit of age. Strawberry will take 6 months to a year to improve enough to be tasty. The VN kits-large selection- will be ready to drink after a couple months and continue to improve. Just a thought for you. They are about $70 or $2+ a bottle.

I would still use the steamer to do the pear and strawberry, but a kit will give the family something to enjoy sooner.Edited by: appleman

Thanks for that info appleman. I had thought of a kit, but THEY like really sweet, fruity stuff. Is there a particular kit that meets this criteria, but is not like a wine cooler?

OK for those who have a steamer juicer.

After putting the fruit in the collender and steam them for an hour or so how do you know when to stop and what do you do with the pulp?

Sorry to hijack this thread. I just ordered a steam juicer today. I will be watching this post to learn.

After an hour or 1½ hours I empty out the pulp into a really big Stainless bowl..a big pot would work....Then I do another batch [or two] At the end of the day I put all the pulp together in the basket and give it another hour of steaming....Just to get a little bit more goodness out of the fruit.

If you just have one batch to do....and....if your fruit was frozen at the beginning of the steaming process, then....after 1 hour, refill the bottom pot with water and give it another ½ hour or so.....When the juice quits coming...or...is very pale, then you are done with that pulp.

In my last batch of Blueberry Wine I didn't have much fruit. I put the pulp in a straining bag and added it to the must. One of Jim's favorite wines...[of the week]

Thanks NW.

I figured you could save and either mix at the end or put in a bag added to primary. Yes?

Yes you can add the bag of pulp to the primary. And I steam until the color turns pale, about an hour to an hour and a half or so.
VPC

vcasey said:
Yes you can add the bag of pulp to the primary. And I steam until the color turns pale, about an hour to an hour and a half or so.
VPC
Thanks again,
I am trying to get some details on this steamer thing.
I figure I can put 5#'s of frozen Strawberries in the calander right? I also hear to add a cup of sugar over the frozen fruit..
Any more "details" I should know before I make the jump to getting one other than brand..
I always made my fruit wine from fresh fruit so this will be taking a different direction than what my comfort level is.

I have not made a strawberry wine or mead so I have no idea how much it would hold. I started out making the fruit wines with fresh/frozen fruit and I can't tell the difference, but then I tend to tinker ........
The brand of steamer is really not an issue both Back to Basics and the Mehu-Liisa are great steamers just get whatever one you can find for the best price. The key is to make sure it's stainless, but you already knew that
smiley1.gif
VPC

Just the basics - freeze the fruit before juicing, sugar helps draw our more juice when steaming, several take the first few cups steamed juice and pour it back over the fruit also if you are steaming a bunch NW mentioned adding all the pulp back to the juicer for another hour. The big thing is to make sure you do not run out of water in the bottom pot. Waldo. I think, rigged up something where he can add water without taking off the fruit basket.
VPC

If Waldo is listening - as a steaming newbie I would love to know how to add water without taking the top part off!

Latest posts

Back