Steam juicing grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smikes

Reaction score
Can you steam juice grapes,or is heat not good to them. Trying to figure out what my next equipment purchase will be. Probably get more use from steamer than press at half or more the cost,but mabey not good to steam grapes?

I have steamed the wild grapes, noticed no difference from those I pressed. From my point of view, the steamer would be more useful at the scale and varietywe do things. Maybe Appleman has tried both methods with the wine grapes he grows and knows of any drawbacks to steaming them.

From what I have others say, steaming grapes works fine and doesn't give off flavors- boiling grapes does. Probably a steamer would be more useful for you at this point. You could always add a press later if you find you need one.

I have been steaming grapes all along.....Ours are mostly hardy grapes crossed with a wild variety. We do have a few wine type grapes....they go in the steamer too.

The steam juicer is a nice way to deal with the small batches that most of us home wine makers deal with....Just love mine so far...
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back