Steam juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dralarms

Overboard as usual
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First time user here,

Any pointers?

Do I keep the tube pinched until fruit is juiced or let it free run?

I'm going to like this thing but want to make sure I'm doing it right. :4th

Put some marbles in the bottom, they rattle when the steamer is steaming, if you run out of water they stop jiggling, very bad to run out of water (Forgot who shared that with us but I leave marbles in mine even when its stored so I dont forget). Dump the first couple of cups of juice back onto the top of the fruit. Dont forget to add pectinase, steaming may release more pectins. WVMJ

dralarms, that is some serious extraction...7 gallons. What are you making? Straight peach wine or a blend? I have never used one but I am thinking very seriously about a purchase.

I used the steam juicer for strawberries. Out of 60 pounds i got about 4 gallons of straight strawberry juice. Im a fan

I have never used a steam juicer so I am not being smart here just asking. Doesn't the steam condense back into water so what you are really getting is a combination of water and juice? Not necessarily a bad thing but I don't think it would be the same as pressing fruit and getting pure juice. Am I missing something here?

dralarms, that is some serious extraction...7 gallons. What are you making? Straight peach wine or a blend? I have never used one but I am thinking very seriously about a purchase.

Straight peach. And I put 1 gallon in the freezer just in case. :D

yea your correct, but i think once you have the steam juicer up to temperature your condensation is minimal.

I have never used a steam juicer so I am not being smart here just asking. Doesn't the steam condense back into water so what you are really getting is a combination of water and juice? Not necessarily a bad thing but I don't think it would be the same as pressing fruit and getting pure juice. Am I missing something here?

The water is in a separate container. Any "steam" created is actually peach ( or what ever fruit you are using). I assume anyway. I know my juice looks like juice, not watered down.

Yes, there is a smallish amount of condensation added to the juice, but not enough to be a problem in practice. Letting frozen fruit thaw before juicing reduces this.

Depending on the variety of fruit and even individual samples of a particular fruit, the amount of water in the juice can vary from 80-95%. The small amount of added water from condensation of water vapor would make little difference.

Thanks for the replies, wasn't trying to hijack a thread here just wanted some idea how much water I would be adding by steam juicing as opposed to pressing and it appears very little.

No they were pitted but I did leave the skins on. None of the pulp made it to the primary, I saw no need.

Thanks...I think I will steam juice my bounty. Stashed ten pounds of tree ripened, delicious fruit in freezer...but I need more fruit, of course.

Latest posts

Back