Steam Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
When using a steamer to juice fruit do the juices change color?

for instance if I make apple juice will it brown in the juicer?
Is there a way to keep it from doing that so that a wine will end up clear versus having a bronze, oxidized tint to it?

[My juicer comes tomorrow and the apples are already waiting]
smiley4.gif

NO, if you are gonna make wine right away add some ascorbic acid.

Thinking about getting a steam juicer. What is a good brand name and where do you get them?

I also got the Norpro. I got for my birthday and haven't used ityet. The shop I bought it from had about a dozen of them as the amish are their biggest customers for this item.

I just got mine from Harvest essentials today. Unpacked it but won't getr a chance to try it till sunday... gonna do my apples first can't wait these things are hyped up pretty good !
smiley17.gif

I'm excited too - I haven't been able to find pear cider anywhere and I really want to make some pear wine this year. I'm going to steam juice some pears as soon as my juicer gets here...

Tepe.... How does that effect the finished wine? (acid level)

How much do I need to use for say a gallon of juice? (Apple)

You should always do a TA test on every batch.
I would not add any acid blend without testing. Remember you want a "balanced" wine
I would not "estimate" either or add just because the recipe says so.

Thanks, brewgrrrrl, for the link to that booklet. I "inherited" my steam juicer, and do not have an instruction manual/recipe book. Now I do! Thanks again!
smiley32.gif

Can't wait to get at the apples this weekend! And I might try to juice the last of the rhubarb too (maybe save for later).

When you all talk about aluminum vs. stainless, are you talking about the entire juicer, or just the bottom? Mine is stainless on the bottom, but I think the rest of it is aluminum.

I don't know yet - mine isn't going to be delivered until Monday. I'll post when I see it though. I was really hoping to have it in time for my weekly trip to the farmer's market (sigh).

I'd love to hear how the apples and rhubarb go though. Enjoy!

You want stainless because the acids in the fruit could pit the material and leach into the juice. Short version from hubby.
VC

Yes, the ones I've seen are either stainless or aluminum (I ordered stainless and if it's aluminum at all it's going back - but I don't think it is because it's the same model sold by E.C.Kraus). I haven't seen one that's a blend of both but I don't know much.
smiley9.gif

Little more knowledge please....

Do you have to core apples to juice them or can they just be sliced, diced an juiced?

(cored my 1st 10 lbs, but thought I may be loosing a bit of juice from the cores themselves)

The recipe booklet says all you need to do is cut them up, nothing about if you should core them.
VC

I pit the fruit. I just dont want to stean the pits just in case. I look at it this way. If I was to make fruit wine I would pit and slice. So I carry it over to the steam juicer.

just my .02 worth.

I just quartered the apples and steamed the cores, seeds, etc. Didn't seem to bother anything.

Latest posts

Back