Steam Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Looking to purchase one in the near future and would like to know the pros and cons of stainless vs. aluminum

Go with the stainless....I think it will be less of a problem that way...

I have found aluminum pots will pit, particularly from the acidity from certain fruits and veggies. I have also found that when they pit, they hold aromas from use. For example, I have two aluminum crawfish pots and one stainless. Both aluminum pots smell strong from the boils. The stainless pot has no odor and it spotless clean. Cleaning is much easier as well. Yes, stainless cost more but you pay for what you get. Many of the aluminum steamers I looked at were very thin gauger metal as well. I ended up ordering mine online at a very decent price. I can't remember where I got it but maybe Waldo does. I got mine from the same place he did. It's not a heavy gauger pot but it is heavier than any aluminum I looked at.

Ok Waldo,

where did you get your steamer juicer from? Do you remember how much it was?

I did a Google search. I believe this is where I ordered from. That is the one I have. I believewhen I ordered itwas $129.99 or $149.00when I got mine. Looks like they are back ordered though. It is a fine product.

http://www-podunk.com/

This one looks like the same one or basically the same one. It is $20.00 cheaper. Looks like it is back ordered as well.

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=5596

Just do a Google search and search for your best price and don't forget to figure shipping in. Sometimes the lowest price isn't the lowest price to your door. And don't fall for free shipping. I have yet to see a place that offers free shipping being the best buy on anything.Edited by: smurfe

I got mine 20 years ago from Back to Basics in Utah, at that time it was $75-80...was a lot of money in the 1980's...But worth every penny. ...It is stainless steel...It has had more use than any item I have ever owned. I lost the handles off the fruit basket in the first years, but it still works fine....I have replaced the hose 3 times. It is a little crusty inside the water pan from our calcium water....but other than that it is still very respectable looking.

For 20 years I have made apple and grape breakfast juices...As well I juiced many other fruits for pancake syrup, jelly and punches.....Then we got into this wine thing....

I love our steamer and many people who see it order one....

I recommend the Stainless one for long term use.

You'll love it!!!

gaudet said:

Yeah, looks like mine is just a tad larger and a heavier gauge stainless but in all honesty, I wouldn't think twice about ordering the one you found if it were going to be used for occasional wine use. Now if you were a gardener and canned lots of stuff you might consider something heavier bit IMHO you found a decent item there considering the $40.00 price difference.

Northern Winos:

You could probably use CLR to remove those calcium deposits........ I bet it would be just like new. It works great on coffee pot carafes. Just check to make sure its safe on metals.....

Smurfe:

Even though its cheaper, its 3 liters smaller in size. If I was going to use it for juicing I'd like to do maximum runs.

What would happen if you steamed grapes? NW, have you tried that?

gaudet said:
Northern Winos:

You could probably use CLR to remove those calcium deposits........ I bet it would be just like new. It works great on coffee pot carafes. Just check to make sure its safe on metals.....

My calcium deposits are really thick..I won't even show you....I would be scared if I removed them the pot might leak. Last time I used it a big chunk of the lime flaked off....I suppose I really should try to clean it up.

I loaned it to the neighbor gals last winter...they juiced up some of their father-in-laws Chokecherries...I think they ran it out of water as the bottom looks a little scorched.

If this old one ever leaks I would order another that day...I will never be without a steam juicer.

Joan said:
What would happen if you steamed grapes? NW, have you tried that?

Grapes are some of the first things I ever juiced...I have always grown these Concord/wild type grapes and made breakfast juice....then came this 'wine-thing' and I do make wine with my mason jars of juice.....It is better than Welch's wine and we really enjoy it.

Probably steam juicing grapes is not the thing to do to your wine grapes....?

I have juiced many combinations of fruits for breakfast juice....Apple/Raspberry...Apple/Raspberry/Rhubarb....Crabapple....Grape....etc.

I have juiced almost every fruit I can get my hands on for wine now....before I was juicing everything for syrups and jellies....Blackberries, Blueberries, Chokecherries....etc.

Tomatoes don't make juice in the steamer...but last year I ran tomatoes through it...threw out the clear juice and used the pulp in the basket for tomato puree...ran it through the food processor...or was it the blender...?..... turned out great. The a friend said she used that clear juice that came out the bottom for soup stock....You could probably make tomato wine if you were so inclined.

Hope you get a steamer and have fun with it....I love my old one....Will never be with out one.

gaudet said:
Found a pretty decent deal on a Back to Basics N12 steam juicer
http://www.cookware.com/Back-to-Basics-N12-BTB1046.html

Total was 120.99 shipped. This will get me started juicing like you other pros............

That one will work great. Your gonna love it.
smiley32.gif
Good job going with the stainless version. It out to last you for manymany years.

My neighbor just got one like that from
http://www.canningpantry.com/a12.html
It is really nice and heavy....I think she paid a few dollars less....and I see that they aren't showing one at this time OnLine....Guess you could call them and ask. From them in her order she got a coupon for 20% off her next order...or....$25 off an order over $100....they were back ordered but arrived before the due date.

I see cookware.com will price match.....

Both are good prices for a really nice unit.
smiley4.gif

Northern Winos said:
It is really nice and heavy....I think she paid a few dollars less....and I see that they aren't showing one at this time OnLine....Guess you could call them and ask. From them in her order she got a coupon for 20% off her next order...or....$25 off an order over $100....they were back ordered but arrived before the due date.

smiley4.gif

That's the aluminum one. Most on this thread said to spend the extra $$$ for the stainless it would be better in the long run. But I did see those prices, and I weighed my decision on the opinion of those more experienced than I. Besides, its a birthday gift to myself, if you can't treat yourself right, what kind of world would it be?
smiley4.gif

gaudet said:
Northern Winos said:

smiley4.gif

That's the aluminum one. Most on this thread said to spend the extra $$$ for the stainless it would be better in the long run. But I did see those prices, and I weighed my decision on the opinion of those more experienced than I. Besides, its a birthday gift to myself, if you can't treat yourself right, what kind of world would it be?
smiley4.gif

You are correct, that is for an aluminum steamer and is an average price for one, No special there. Click to their stainless version. It is $160 you got a good buy on the one you got. Enjoy!

Yes...they show the aluminum one, but a couple weeks ago they had a Back to Basics stainless steel one as well, neighbor paid $109.....They may have sold out. It seems many suppliers are saying 'Back Ordered"

Get the Back to Basics Stainless one....My old SS one is still holding together after over 20 years of use....It isn't near as heavy as the new one my neighbor bought....her's will last a lifetime. My manual says 1985...so they do last a very long time.

This time of the year I am using it every 2 or 3 days...alternating my days between fruit juices in the steamer and doing up the tomatoes... feel like I am working in a canning factory.

You will enjoy your new gift....they are a dream toy if you have lots of fruit.

Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back