Steam Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pelican said:
When I juice with the steamer, I make sure I have hot, sterile jars and lids ready and waiting and just drain off the juice from the steamer into the jars, then lid them and let them seal as they cool. I haven't steam bathed them afterwards - only had maybe 1 jar not fully seal and grow gunk over the last year or so.

Maybe I ought to steam process them, but with sterile (steamed) juice, going into sterile jars with sterile lids, all hot -- treating them like jelly and just letting them self seal seems to be enough.

Just my 2 cents, open to having corrective feedback if this is way wrong way to do this!

(Mrs.) Pelican

Thats the way I feel too Mrs. Pelican, but Mrs. Gaudet is a touch paranoid about processing canned items, so away we go
smiley1.gif

Thats what I did with my Plums that I juiced. Their still on the dinning room table looking good.............

Actually they look like they need a few pounds of sugar and a package of yeast.........
smiley36.gif
Edited by: jobe05

jobe05 said:
Thats what I did with my Plums that I juiced. Their still on the dinning room table looking good.............

Actually they look like they need a few pounds of sugar and a package of yeast.........
smiley36.gif

By gawddddd boy..what you waiting on...lets get er done !!!!
smiley36.gif

Has anyone ever tryed one of the Jack Lalanne juicers? How would something like that work for juicing? I figure the wine wouldprobably be harder to clear, but patience is something the good nuns instilled in me!

I Would think the juicer would work pretty well.

I remember my first gallon of Scuppernong wine was done from the juice that came out of a juicer, and your right, took a little longer to clear. Perhaps back then if I had known more about using pectic enzyme it may not have been so bad.

However, I didn't use the pulp, and wouldn't use it now from a juicer because it breaks the seeds up, which I would think would give some wines an off flavor.

I have a question about steaming...... I was slicing up the apples, freezing them for about a week, and then steaming them for frozen juice to be used later.---Now I also have applesthat havefrozen on the tree, but are now looking a little soft, or tan-ish ( light brown), are they too far gone?----have they thawed out in the sun and refrozen too much? Should I write them off for this year? Edited by: termini

Latest posts

Back