Powder Coating

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrwednesday

Junior
Reaction score
I searched for the subject matter, and hopefully I may ask for some insight

I work as a electrostatic powder coater by trade, I got into brewing wine a little over a year ago. One of the vendors we use for powder carries three FDA approved Food Grade powders. I have access to ordering metals: galvanized, aluminum and stainless steel, an would be able to have it pressed, rolled or punched how id like and welded as well.

i know metals are a big no, but if the powder is tolerant of the acidity and the alcohol. Would it still be ill advised to have a secondary fabricated out of galvanized or aluminum. So long as it is in contact with the powdered surface and not the metal? I plan on calling the vendor to see if I can get ahold of the specifics on the powder.

For holding wine? I would definitely not use galvanized, not even powder coated and would be very leery of powder coated aluminum. Stainless steel on the other hand IS the gold standard for food equipment. It has all the advantages of glass, is far far tougher than glass. Its main (perhaps only?) disadvantage is it is far more expensive.
Stainless (with an acceptable finish) requires no powder coating btw

Last edited:
I concur with Jim, I'd be leery of any metal other than stainless. While a powder that is fully vetted for wine is probably acceptable, if the coating gets a scratch, your wine can be contaminated.

In general, stick with products designed for winemaking, and materials known to be good for winemaking. The high acid, high ABV mix is a problem with a lot of materials. Better safe than sorry.

Latest posts

Back