Steam Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly boy

Reaction score
I have read many posts about the use of steam juicers. Is there some type of conversion formula for recipes? Most recipes are in pounds of fruit, or is it just a matter of recording how many pounds of fruit are reduced to so much liquid? Also, does the use of juice givea similar result in flavor, body, and etcas using the fresh fruit? I like the idea of the juicer as the juice can be usedany timeand saves the use of straining bags.

I use a steam juicer for my fruit wines...I have never made fruit wines any other way, so have no comparison on the flavor/body/etc. Waldo has made wine both ways so he would be an authority by now...I think some other members also have started using a steamer....so I will also be interested in the any results that get posted.

I use a little bit more fruit in each batch...my thinking is that maybe the straining bag might get more goodies out of the fruit. But after the steamer is done with the fruit there isn't much pulp left.

I keep a record of my juicing....usually juice enough for a 5-6 gallon batch, then put it in mason jars, seal and store. I write on the lids what the juice is and also markhow many quarts to use up in a batch.

This is a few of my notes.
24# strawberries = 12 quarts
24# raspberries = 12 quarts
20# chokecherries = 10 quarts
17# strawberries = 8 quarts
16# raspberries = 8 quarts
20# crab apples = 6 1/2 quarts
23# wild plums = 8 1/2 quarts
12# rhubarb = 7 quarts

Much depends on the fruit, how ripe and how juicyit is.
Good luck and Post your experiences.

NW, thanks for the reply. Your notes are what I was looking for to start to get an idea of the equivalents. I would be interested in Waldo's impression of making wines with juice vs. whole fruit. I have only made a few fruit wines. the juicing of fruit appeared to be a great idea.

I remember Waldo preferred the juicer over other ways and think he said that they were easier to clear also.

I have ordered me a steam juicer. I believe I got the same one Waldo has and believe I ordered from the same place.Should have it tomorrow I believe. I need to read back through the archives as well. Look forward to trying it out. A nice step by step pictorial tutorial would be nice from one of our experienced steam juicer users (hint hint).
smiley2.gif

From my impression you still use approximately the same amount of fruit for a recipe correct? I believe I had read where Waldo used around 30# of blackberries and got 2 1/2 qts of juice and that was good for a 5 gallon batch? Sounds like it is going to be fun to use and much less messier and time saving. I can't wait.

Having made scratch wines both ways I much prefer the steamer method of extracting juices from the fruit. My method, if you will, is to use the same amount of fruit for a batch, whether steamed or processed the conventional way. IE: Pressing. To me, the key is to make sure you have good quality fruit and to ensure that the fruit being used is fully ripe. It is still of benifit on some fruits to freeze before steaming which aids in the breakdown of the cell structure of the fruit which makes the extraction of juices a lot easier. As NW alluded to in her post, there is not much, if any benifit left in the pulp after steaming other than good fodder for the compost pile. To me, the must has a richer flavor and color, the wine clears a lot quicker and there is not near as much sediment after fermentation. I also add sugar to my fuit during steaming which aids in the extraction process. The amount used is normally about 1/3 of what will be used in the batch. It also helps considerably to pour the hot steamed juice back onto the fruit during the process. I usually do this after I have collected about the first quart or so of juice.

Here is the link to a thread I had started some time back that has a load of helpful hints/tips for everyone on here that had a steamer/juicer at the time. Perhaps it will be of benifit to those considering one.
http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1933&KW=Steamer&PN=1Edited by: Waldo

Waldo & NW,

I've used my steam juicer twice (mango & cherries) & compared to your pictures, I always have a lot of pulp left. Could it just be the type of fruit?

bj4271 said:
Waldo & NW,

I've used my steam juicer twice (mango & cherries) & compared to your pictures, I always have a lot of pulp left. Could it just be the type of fruit?

Are you freezing your fruit prior to steaming and do add any sugar during steaming or pour back any of the hotjuice over the fruit? All of which will help extract more juice from the fruit. I have steamed neither mongos nor cherries so have no experience on how much pulp would typically be left.

I'm steaming Nanking Cherries today and am very pleased...I think I am going to just end up with pits.

I steam a 5-6# bag of frozen cherries, then add another bag as it melts down....Now I am done adding bags [27#] and will run another pan of water through.....

These Cherries were very ripe...so that might help with the reduction.

Waldo,

I didn't freeze, but did use sugar. The cherries were canned, so maybe that had something to do with it.

Never tried to juice anything that had been canned Bruce but you may be right.

Northern Winos,

I orderedthe steamer yesterday.Will bean excellent way to extract the juices to store for future winessince all the fruits here in E. Texas are now ripe and ready to harvest.
Questions: After extraction, when the juice is in the Mason jar with seal and ring, do I heat the jar of juice in boiling water to seal the lid? And if so, for how long? Or, is the juice warm enough at extraction that when canned it will seal the lids?
It's been a while since I canned anything but I remember (?)heating the jars and letting them cool until the lids "pop" to ensure the correct seal for storage.

Waldo,

When you add the 1/3 amount of sugar normally used for the batch of wine onto the fruit being steamed, am I correct in thinking that if the recipe called for 6 lbs. of sugar, I would set aside 2 lbs. of sugar and sprinkle it on the friut in the steamer in proportion to the total amount of batches of friut to be steamed?
Then, for each batch of fruit to be steamed, I would take abouta quart of the extracted juice andpour it over the sugared-steaming fruit to aid in extraction?

Just wanting to make sure I get it right because the steaming will begin just as soon as the steamer arrives.

Thanks

stormbringer said:
Waldo,

When you add the 1/3 amount of sugar normally used for the batch of wine onto the fruit being steamed, am I correct in thinking that if the recipe called for 6 lbs. of sugar, I would set aside 2 lbs. of sugar and sprinkle it on the friut in the steamer in proportion to the total amount of batches of friut to be steamed?
Then, for each batch of fruit to be steamed, I would take abouta quart of the extracted juice andpour it over the sugared-steaming fruit to aid in extraction?

Just wanting to make sure I get it right because the steaming will begin just as soon as the steamer arrives.

Thanks

You have it exactly right storm.
smiley20.gif

I just sprinkle a half a cup or so on each batch of fruit I steam.

When I can the juice I put it in a big pot and heat it to almost boiling [pasturizing]....I steam the jars in a big pot of boiling water for 5 minutes, pour the juice into the hot jars to about 1/4-1/8 inch from the top, wipe the rims, put on a hot lid heated in boiling water, put on a ring, tighten...it will seal with that small of a head space.....

I do not process the jars, you could if you feel safer. If you want to process the jars...then fill to 1/2 inch from the top [a larger head-space] and process for about 5 minutes in boiling water.

I have more jars than freezer space.

Good luck with your project.

Northern Winos said:
I think some other members also have started using a steamer....so I will also be interested in the any results that get posted. Good luck and Post your experiences.

I extracted 8 1/2 quarts of juice from 25# of muscadinesusing the steamer.

Way to go storm !!!
smiley20.gif
The muscadines are begining to ripen here now. By the 15th they should be ready to start picking.

Latest posts

Back